Unsure which tariff to switch to

FlexiPack
FlexiPack Posts: 21
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
We've been with EDF for years. Our current monthly bill is £302 (Gas & Electric) and we're still in debit even with paying that amount.

Looking to switch to a better tariff. Initially looking at Octopus but despite them quoting a lower monthly amount (£253), the unit rates are identical to our current EDF tariff barring a penny (both variable tariffs though). Standing charges are cheaper on Octopus but that only amounts to a saving of £1.28 per month.

When doing the quote, I used the annual estimates from my latest bill (Elec: 5673 kWh, Gas 15459 kWh)

EDF are offering a proposed £236 monthly bill based on our current usage, that's a fixed tariff though.

I'd appreciate some advice on this as I'm not very knowledgeable about it all.

New Octopus quote vs current EDF tariff:

New Octopus quote vs new EDF Fixed tariff:

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,956
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FlexiPack said:

When doing the quote, I used the annual estimates from my latest bill (Elec: 5673 kWh, Gas 15459 kWh)

Before you look at different tariffs may I suggest you look at your consumption.  Your electric is nearly double the average, gas about 20% high.  Any reason why  ? 

Are you a large family, large old house ?   

PS Are the estimates based on estimates ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • FlexiPack
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    FlexiPack said:

Before you look at different tariffs may I suggest you look at your consumption.  Your electric is nearly double the average, gas about 20% high.  Any reason why  ? 

We've tried to reduce consumption as much as possible. It's a semi-detached built in the 60's. Got cavity wall insulation. Mum is home all day, there's always someone in. So there's no break in usage. I don't know why the electricity is so high though, primary source of heat is a gas fire in the living room. Gas boiler with hot water tank.

The estimates used were from the 'Annual Estimate Consumption' in the Dec '23 bill.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,956
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FlexiPack said:

The estimates used were from the 'Annual Estimate Consumption' in the Dec '23 bill.
    Do your own  sums - look at actual readings 12 months apart.

We are a couple of OAP's and someone always at home.  Elect is 3100 and 14000 

Do a survey room be room inc garage, shed, attic, and list all the equipment.  Usual high electrics are shower, panel heaters used instead of using the gas heating,  old freezers - particularly  American fridge/freezers
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,642
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    FlexiPack said:
    Robin9 said:
    FlexiPack said:

We've tried to reduce consumption as much as possible. It's a semi-detached built in the 60's. Got cavity wall insulation. Mum is home all day, there's always someone in. So there's no break in usage. I don't know why the electricity is so high though, primary source of heat is a gas fire in the living room. Gas boiler with hot water tank.

Your usage seems incredibly high.
    Im in a 3 bed semi built in the 60s as well. My husband is disabled so in all day. There are 3 of us and all use the shower every day and I put the washer on every other day as sons work clothes get filthy.

I pay by variable DD so pay for what we use every month. Last month was my biggest bill yet but that was only £174. 
  • Time for an energy audit.

What's left on

Biggest users Immersion heating up water constantly, electric showers, electric heaters or electric under floor heating. Pumps for ponds and big old fridge freezers.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 11,981
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 5 February at 5:51PM
    FlexiPack said:

I'd appreciate some advice on this as I'm not very knowledgeable about it all.

From April onwards variable tariffs are predicted to be cheaper than fixed rates currently being offered.

Fixed rate tariffs offered in not too distant future are predicted to be offered cheaper than current fixed rate tariffs hence Martin Lewis current advice not to take out fixed rate tariffs at the moment.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/-are-there-any-cheap--fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it--/
  • FlexiPack
    Forumite
    Robin9 said:
    FlexiPack said:

Do your own  sums - look at actual readings 12 months apart.

We are a couple of OAP's and someone always at home.  Elect is 3100 and 14000 

Do a survey room be room inc garage, shed, attic, and list all the equipment.  Usual high electrics are shower, panel heaters used instead of using the gas heating,  old freezers - particularly  American fridge/freezers
    Thanks for the info. Something is way off with our electricity then, looking at yours and other replies. Going to do a full check on items plugged in. Is there any chance an old immersion switch left in the 'on' positive could be drawing power? It was for the previous boiler system and isn't hook up to the current one.
  • FlexiPack
    Forumite
    Time for an energy audit.

What's left on

Biggest users Immersion heating up water constantly, electric showers, electric heaters or electric under floor heating. Pumps for ponds and big old fridge freezers.
    Found an old switch in the 'on' position, for the previous tanks immersion heater (the electric back up in case of boiler failure). But that surely couldn't be drawing power if not connected to anything?
  • FlexiPack
    Forumite
    Just looked at our Electricity usage for two periods last year:

27th Apr - 27th July (91 days) 1,152 kWh
    19th Sept - 18th Dec 1,484.8 kWh

Difference of 332.8 kWh

Is that reasonable difference between those two periods of the year? We does use a halogen heater on it's lowest setting from mid october onwards for about 3-4hrs a day. Otherwise, not much change in our electricity usage habits that I can think of.

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,624
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    FlexiPack said:
    27th Apr - 27th July (91 days) 1,152 kWh
    12kWh a day during the warmer months seems quite a lot. That's something like double what I'd expect for a typical 60s semi.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback