Using debit card abroad

Options
Hello, I have got a Starling debit card specifically for use for a trip to Iceland. The card claims no fees for use in Iceland. However I'm confused, do I still get charged for currency conversion ? If I pay for meals etc in Krona's will there be a conversion fee to pounds. Thanks for any advice

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello, I have got a Starling debit card specifically for use for a trip to Iceland. The card claims no fees for use in Iceland. However I'm confused, do I still get charged for currency conversion ? If I pay for meals etc in Krona's will there be a conversion fee to pounds. Thanks for any advice
    No, that's what they mean by no fees.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wherever you go you should always ensure that payment is taken in the local currency.  If conversion is done at point of sale you will generally get a very poor exchange rate.  Although Starling don't have any fees for use, that doesn't mean there won't/can't be any charges by the bank the service provider in Iceland uses.
  • cherryade44
    cherryade44 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @eskbanker and @TELLIT01 many thanks for your replies, much appreciated 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,954 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It will convert at Mastercard's exchange rate without either a hidden percentage in the exchange rate nor any overt fees. 

As others have said, some ATMs and POS terminals will offer dynamic conversion to bill you in GBP when they detect a UK card being used, you need to make sure you decline that and pay in Icelandic currency as the offered exchange rate is terrible compared to Mastercards 
  • cherryade44
    cherryade44 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Options
    It will convert at Mastercard's exchange rate without either a hidden percentage in the exchange rate nor any overt fees. 

As others have said, some ATMs and POS terminals will offer dynamic conversion to bill you in GBP when they detect a UK card being used, you need to make sure you decline that and pay in Icelandic currency as the offered exchange rate is terrible compared to Mastercards 
    @DullGreyGuy that''s great info, cheers for that :)
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,406 Forumite
    edited 9 February at 1:47PM
    Options
    If you are considering drawing currency at any point - be aware that the ATM owner bank may well take a commission.
    Chase and Starling etc. have no control over that.
    I have no idea what the scenario is in Iceland though.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    We were in Iceland last year. You won't need cash, everywhere takes cards, and I didn't see DCC anywhere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback