We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Using debit card abroad
Comments
-
No, that's what they mean by no fees.cherryade44 said:Hello, I have got a Starling debit card specifically for use for a trip to Iceland. The card claims no fees for use in Iceland. However I'm confused, do I still get charged for currency conversion ? If I pay for meals etc in Krona's will there be a conversion fee to pounds. Thanks for any advice2 -
Wherever you go you should always ensure that payment is taken in the local currency. If conversion is done at point of sale you will generally get a very poor exchange rate. Although Starling don't have any fees for use, that doesn't mean there won't/can't be any charges by the bank the service provider in Iceland uses.
2 -
@eskbanker and @TELLIT01 many thanks for your replies, much appreciated0
-
It will convert at Mastercard's exchange rate without either a hidden percentage in the exchange rate nor any overt fees.cherryade44 said:Hello, I have got a Starling debit card specifically for use for a trip to Iceland. The card claims no fees for use in Iceland. However I'm confused, do I still get charged for currency conversion ? If I pay for meals etc in Krona's will there be a conversion fee to pounds. Thanks for any advice
As others have said, some ATMs and POS terminals will offer dynamic conversion to bill you in GBP when they detect a UK card being used, you need to make sure you decline that and pay in Icelandic currency as the offered exchange rate is terrible compared to Mastercards2 -
@DullGreyGuy that''s great info, cheers for thatDullGreyGuy said:
It will convert at Mastercard's exchange rate without either a hidden percentage in the exchange rate nor any overt fees.cherryade44 said:Hello, I have got a Starling debit card specifically for use for a trip to Iceland. The card claims no fees for use in Iceland. However I'm confused, do I still get charged for currency conversion ? If I pay for meals etc in Krona's will there be a conversion fee to pounds. Thanks for any advice
As others have said, some ATMs and POS terminals will offer dynamic conversion to bill you in GBP when they detect a UK card being used, you need to make sure you decline that and pay in Icelandic currency as the offered exchange rate is terrible compared to Mastercards
0 -
If you are considering drawing currency at any point - be aware that the ATM owner bank may well take a commission.Chase and Starling etc. have no control over that.I have no idea what the scenario is in Iceland though.0
-
We were in Iceland last year. You won't need cash, everywhere takes cards, and I didn't see DCC anywhere.
0 -
Hello, Just use the card as if in the UK using your bank debit card. So in your example, here's how it works You top up your Starling Account/card from your normal UK account with say, £100.00,. In Iceland you eat at a restaurant, a meal, which costs 858 KRONA ( it's a good restaurant !). In your phone's Starling app. you see the exchange rate they give, at the time of purchase, is 8.58 KRONA per POUND ( sterling ). As you pay with your card, 858 KRONA, this would cost you £100.00. So at this point, after paying for your meal, you now have a balance of £0.00. P.S. Probably better if you pay in £110.00 say, ( in reality ) just to allow for fluctuation in exchange rate - and make sure you don't go overdrawn !
0 -
^ Necropost - this thread is over two years old!
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
