🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Leaking Milk Cartons

Options
2»

Comments

• mikb
    mikb Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    fun4everyone said:
     Not from the top but from the bottom (I think the middle ridged part)?  

Probably will just get my milk from somewhere else
    The middle ridged part indicates a badly moulded bottle.

Before you change supplier, note the manufacturers EC number on the ASDA milk you are buying, e.g. AY023 -- if it's the same number on your new retailer, it's coming from the same supplier.

Kinda like when people on here were complaining a while back about ALDI (or Morrisons) milk going off too fast, and changing to buying it in Morrisons (or ALDI) -- it was the same milk, same bottles, from Arla, branded for that supermarket. :(

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We buy a lot of milk in 4pt bottles.  Never had any leaks.  We buy mainly from Waitrose or Sainsbury’s, they are very near home,  all other supermarkets are 16-20 miles return.  
  • JulieM
    JulieM Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Newshound! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    With milk in 4 pint plastic bottles, I lie them down in the trolley or basket and by the time I get to the checkout I can usually see or feel for any leaks at the cap. I haven't had any leaking for a while though, in fact some of the seals are so tough now it's an effort to remove them.
  • pumpkin89
    pumpkin89 Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mikb said:

Kinda like when people on here were complaining a while back about ALDI (or Morrisons) milk going off too fast, and changing to buying it in Morrisons (or ALDI) -- it was the same milk, same bottles, from Arla, branded for that supermarket. :(

Yes - but that doesn't mean the same thing happens to it once it leaves the supplier.  If the milk was going off too fast that likely indicates it wasn't kept cold enough at some point (whether in the distribution centre, the lorry or the back of the shop).  Same milk at the beginning, but potentially in a very different state by the time you buy it.
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 564 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    pumpkin89 said:
    mikb said:

Yes - but that doesn't mean the same thing happens to it once it leaves the supplier.
    Logically true. Unfortunately, practically ... what I wrote was correct. The same problem occurred when switching to ALDI milk. That's when I noticed the codes were the same, and thought "hmmm". 
    And yes, my fridge is working correctly. 
    Whatever the problem was went away after a while, I've not noticed it in months now.
    May have been around the time they made the shift from Use By to Best Before, and that caused some kind of logistics problem in deciding what milk should be put where, and when. Or just co-incidence.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure