Leaking Milk Cartons

Options
Is anyone else having trouble with leaking milk cartons? Mostly from Sainsburys, but we also buy some from Booths (North West supermarket) and we've had problems with both. Basically, they leak. Just had to clear up quite a mess from the fridge from the latest one.

I think the cartons are thinner, to save on plastic? Unfortunately, that seems to have made them unfit for purpose. Unless I'm particularly heavy handed with them?

We buy 4 pint cartons (or equivalent).

Comments

• HouseMartin567
    Options
    I’ve had a couple in recent months - one was definitely Asda because I remember it leaked over the checkout so the cashier removed it before I paid. I’m trying to remember to give them a quick turn upside down before I put them in the trolley to see if they leak!
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Mostly but from Aldi and sometime Lidl and don't recall having on that has leaked.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,953 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Never had a problem, I buy 3 x 6 pint cartons which are stored in the fridge door but never had one leak yet. (I get mine from Asda each week) 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I get milk in bottles, rather than cartons, from Sainsbury's and haven't had any issues. 
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 559 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Wyndham said:

I think the cartons are thinner, to save on plastic?

Unclear if you mean leaking through the side/base of the plastic carton, or leaking from a failure to seal at the screw-on-cap.

I've had a few where the foil "seal" has not been right (at the shop) and the screw-on top is not usually watertight anyway (milktight?) so they leak when tipped over in the trolley. Or on the conveyor. They don't get the chance to do it in the fridge -- upright only.

If you are saying leaking through the side wall -- never happened. Yet. I hope they haven't bowed to eco-pressure to make the containers functionally useless. Yay! Saving the planet! But, wasting milk in the process.
  • irdam
    irdam Posts: 2 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I get milk in bottles, rather than cartons, from Sainsbury's and haven't had any issues. 
    Me too. Always prefer the glass
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 February at 12:31PM
    Options
    mikb said:

Unclear if you mean leaking through the side/base of the plastic carton, or leaking from a failure to seal at the screw-on-cap.

I've had a few where the foil "seal" has not been right (at the shop) and the screw-on top is not usually watertight anyway (milktight?) so they leak when tipped over in the trolley. Or on the conveyor. They don't get the chance to do it in the fridge -- upright only.
    I have had a few of these, generally from Asda.  Not had the problem with Tesco.
    Never had a leak through the body though.
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    molerat said:
    Never had a leak through the body though.
    :o          
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • SuzeQStan
    SuzeQStan Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    I’ve had a couple in recent months - one was definitely Asda because I remember it leaked over the checkout so the cashier removed it before I paid. I’m trying to remember to give them a quick turn upside down before I put them in the trolley to see if they leak!
    Same here - but they are leaking from the top cap not the actual bottle itself.  They are placed sideways for delivery and they leak loads.  We got our last bottle free and the delivery man said there were plenty issues with leaking milk bottles since the new white caps started
    Lancashire
    PV 5.04kWp 
    🐙 Go

Mortgage freedom January 2024 - paid off 7 years early by making overpayments where we could.

• fun4everyone
    fun4everyone Posts: 2,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had 3 in the last couple of months from Asda that start leaking on returning home.  Not from the top but from the bottom (I think the middle ridged part)?  There's definitely been a reduction in quality on the packaging.  I check carefully now but had another today.  Probably will just get my milk from somewhere else.  It is a pain having to take the fridge to bits and clean it thoroughly after every leak.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback