Ipad 2021 9th generation..do you recommend?

saver79
saver79 Posts: 22
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi everyone..I’ve got an old ipad, with only 16gig of storage, now used, so I need to replace it.
I’m keen to get this 2021 model, from Argos (buy now, pay in a year, on my Argos card) its got 256g memory, 10.2 screen, and is only £499, so it seems like a good choice? 
I’m hoping I’ll get a good few years out of it, before upgrading again...it’s a never-ending circle isn’t it! 

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There is likely to be a newer model out this year, upgrading on the current 10th Gen but I know folk who have old ipads and they just keep going. A 9th Gen will run the latest version of the software so should be good for a few years support yet.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• Why do you want to wait a year to pay for it?
    id want to pay for it as soon as possible and not have it hanging over me. 
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,286
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why do you want to wait a year to pay for it?
    id want to pay for it as soon as possible and not have it hanging over me. 
    I'd probably pay up front myself (or put it on a credit card that I pay in full by DD) but if you know you'll have the money available in 12 months time then delaying payment until then seems to be fully in line with the MSE philosphy.

• Miser1964
    Miser1964 Posts: 272
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 2 February at 10:22PM
    Personally I went for a 5th Gen iPad Air, it's got the M1 chip for more features in iPad OS and USB-C rather then the now obsolete Lightning. You'd get a certified refurbished one for £550ish. 
  • saver79
    Forumite
    Miser1964 said:
    Personally I went for a 5th Gen iPad Air, it's got the M1 chip for more features in iPad OS and USB-C rather then the now obsolete Lightning. You'd get a certified refurbished one for £550ish. 
    Thanks, I’ll consider that,  do you mean the charger lead, is that Lightening? I have 2 leads..
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,972
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have just bought a new 9th gen 32GB for £220, they are often available new for about £250.  It was on Facebook, (I know I know) the seller buys tech stuff cheap and then sells for a small profit.  I checked before parting with my cash and the warranty started the day i bought it.  It might have been ex-display but was unmarked and after using it for 2 weeks it is fine.
    I sold my old 5th gen one with case for £110 so feeling very happy with my cheap upgrade.
  • saver79
    Forumite
    I have just bought a new 9th gen 32GB for £220, they are often available new for about £250.  It was on Facebook, (I know I know) the seller buys tech stuff cheap and then sells for a small profit.  I checked before parting with my cash and the warranty started the day i bought it.  It might have been ex-display but was unmarked and after using it for 2 weeks it is fine.
    I sold my old 5th gen one with case for £110 so feeling very happy with my cheap upgrade.
    Wow, thats a good deal, well done! The one I have my eye on, has 256g memory, tho, thats the main reason I want it, for the memory size, but maybe I should look further afield than Argos! 
  • John Lewis have the 64 GB 2021 iPad for £319 with a 2 year warranty. That's pretty decent. 
    You pay a lot extra for much bigger memory, so work out if you actually need it or if it might be worth upgrading to 200 GB iCloud?
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,709
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Do you keep a lot of files, photos, videos etc on the ipad?

There are options to keep your data elsewhere.

I only have Apple's free 5GB storage as I keep all my stuff on a NAS.

I also do a local backup periodically to a hard drive.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback