Cleared Cookies and Cache, Endless emails asking it it me?

donnac2558
donnac2558 Posts: 3,606
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Forumite
Yes, over 2 weeks ago I in my stupidity cleared my cookies and cache.  Now, no site remembers me and I have to sign in each time.  Yes, I do have the Remember Me ticked.

The worse is eBay and now Paypal sending emails insisting a new device signed in to my account.  Was it me, if so ignore the email which I do. No, it is the same laptop for 3 years now.  

But the endless emails asking me the same question.  Then the OPT codes they decide to send is driving me up the wall.

Is there any way to stop it?  

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,138
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It's a security measure.

It's sounds that you have done more than clear cookies and cache. But have refused or disabled Cookies. Therefore no site will be able to remember you. 

• 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,634
    Forumite
    What browser?

Sounds like you have enabled the forget me when I close the site / browser option somewhere. 
  • donnac2558
    Forumite
    Firefox.  

I do reject cookies so that could be the reason.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,174
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    yes all the 'remembering' is held in cookies so if you clear or disallow them then remembering is not possible
  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 250
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Firefox.  

I do reject cookies so that could be the reason.
    and that is is why   the sites do not remember you , thisis very basci   knowledge of how  such things work.
  • donnac2558
    Forumite
    There was a consumer programme on a while back saying people just click accept when they do not need to.

So, I leave essential ones and reject the advertising ones.  Since yesterday, I have accepted all cookies, but still happening.
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,174
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 3 February at 8:05AM
    once you start accepting cookies then it will ask you once and then it will store the details in a cookie and remember it for next time

one way to achieve what you want is to use one browser (for example Chrome) for things you log into and want the computer to remember and then use a second browser (for example Edge* or whatever) for general browsing and you can clear cookies as much as you want on that one without affecting the 'remembering' cookies on Chrome

(*) in fact Edge has an option to delete all cookies, cache etc every time you close it down so you don't even have to do it manually
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,307
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Maybe because I have an old computer (but that shouldn't make a difference) and I use uptodate Firefox and i set the computer to delete all cookies on closing.
    I don't have my browsing history deleted however.

I just have the 'remember me' box ticked for unimportant sites like the library, they can pay my fines if they want to  :D

Yes I have to sign in to regular sites but I've never had a reminder.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,225
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Maybe because I have an old computer (but that shouldn't make a difference) and I use uptodate Firefox and i set the computer to delete all cookies on closing.
    I don't have my browsing history deleted however.

I just have the 'remember me' box ticked for unimportant sites like the library, they can pay my fines if they want to  :D

Yes I have to sign in to regular sites but I've never had a reminder.
    So that is the reason. The cookies are the way the site remembers you, so once they are deleted all the sites will forget you.

The age of your computer is not relevant.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,634
    Forumite
    There was a consumer programme on a while back saying people just click accept when they do not need to.

So, I leave essential ones and reject the advertising ones.  Since yesterday, I have accepted all cookies, but still happening.
    What you were doing is correct, allow essential and reject all performance, marketing etc. Accepting all is not going to make any difference to your problem.

It is more likely you have a setting which is deleting all cookies when you leave a site or shut down the browser.

What happens if you use another browser, assume it works fine then. If so, you need to find the setting that is deleting the cookies. Not a Firefox user (abandoned that years ago) so don't know what setting it has anymore.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback