Remote token issues with Scottish Power

Hi, does anyone have/had a similar issue to mine where Scottish Power tell me I am in debt of £100s due to "remote token issues".

Essentially, I had a pre-payment meter and over the past few years, occasionally after topping up my key (through my local Key Point aka Spar), my meter would initially accept the amount (e.g. £20), increase the current credit in the meter by £20, then 5 minutes later, the current credit would reduce by £20 (therefore the meter did not accept my £20 credit) - I phoned SP, they accepted this and they gave me an 8-digit code to get £20 added to my key to cover this amount. 

Now, they are saying these 8-digit codes were "advance credit" and that I am due back the money, £100s in my case. So, I paid for my electric and they now want to charge me again.

Long story short, I complained to SP in July 2023, waited 8 weeks after which there was no resolution so then logged a dispute with the energy ombudsman who judged that I am not liable for this alleged debt as 1. I had already paid the money and 2. SP did not supply evidence that it was debt.

SP are now refusing to apply the "remedy" of clearing this debt from my account.

Currently, the ombudsman is chasing SP for this "remedy" to occur but I suspect SP will dig their heels in and make us wait many more months. I understand that court action might be needed should there be a deadlock between SP and the ombudsman but am reluctant/scared to do this due to potential costs.

Anything else I can do??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure