We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including number plates, reference numbers and QR codes (which may reveal vehicle information when scanned).
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

APCOA Heathrow Drop-Off £80 PCN Cancelled - Thank you!!!

2»

Comments

  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 44,987 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Umkomaas said:
    Yes. 

    1. They know your name
    2. Get yourself a throwaway email address if you don't want to give your regular one
    3. Make up a phone number - they ain't going to ring it anyway. 
    I never see any value in providing a different email address
    and with regards to numbers just change the numbers round in your own mobile number
    A throwaway can be useful if your regular one is very busy and you have trouble keeping on top of the daily deluge.  Having a throwaway just for the parking charge will make any replies there stand out, then there's perhaps less of a chance of overlooking anything important incoming .... not that it matters much in an APCOA case!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

    #Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Fitnessthetic
    Fitnessthetic Posts: 2 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 August at 12:37AM

    I also knew that I will receive a ticket and read the forum here before. Never done that and wanted to decide if I wanna try it or not..

    Long story short while I was deciding it, got too busy and oooopps forgot to pay!!

    So here's my fine arrives in less than a week. They want 100 quid and offer me to pay early for 25. I didn't even read it properly and copied one of your guys' website appeals. I also added something in the end, funny one. Will update you when they cancel.

    I appeal as the keeper of the vehicle. I am not obliged to identify the driver and decline to do so.

    1. The parking operator is unable to transfer the driver's liability (if any) to the keeper under Schedule 4 to the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 ("POFA") because the drop-off zone at Luton Airport is not 'relevant land' as defined in POFA. Airport land under statutory control is excluded from Schedule 4, and the operator therefore has no lawful basis to pursue the registered keeper.

    As keeper I am in any event entitled to all the defences available to the driver, including (without limitation):

    1. The parking charge is not notified until after the contract is entered into. Under Thornton v Shoe Lane Parking [1971] 2 QB 163, a charge not communicated before contract formation does not become part of that contract.
    2. The signage is not compliant with the BPA Code of Practice. Luton Airport's road layout directs all arriving vehicles toward the terminal before adequate charging information is visible. Drivers have no realistic opportunity to avoid the zone after first encountering the signs, meaning no valid contractual offer was made and no enforceable contract was formed.
    3. The vehicle was present in the drop-off zone for no more than 5 minutes, within the consideration period mandated by the BPA Code of Practice.
    4. The charge is not a genuine pre-estimate of loss and is therefore an unenforceable penalty at common law.

    Any one of the above grounds is sufficient to require cancellation. I require this PCN to be cancelled and invite written confirmation or issue a POPLA Code so POPLA can order you to cancel it.

    No "gestures of goodwill"s, no "we considered this time"s, just accept your mistake and cancel it, and save both of our times.

    Btw big thanks to "coupon-mad" I dont know exactly who he is, but I read a lot of his posts in this forum, so really appreciate his big help, support, and benefit to the community.

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    "Btw big thanks to "coupon-mad" I dont know exactly who he is, but I read a lot of his posts in this forum, so really appreciate his big help, support, and benefit to the community."

    Thanks - I am a lady, though! 😅

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Omg really?!!!!!!! I'd never ever guessed it! But sorry for my mistake then! SHE is a great help to everyone and the community here and all over the internet who love to cancel their PCNs! :)

    I JUST received an email from APCOA, and it reads;

    Dear Mr XX XXX(My name),
    We refer to your recent correspondence relating to Parking Charge LUXXXX4(my charge no).
    We have carefully reviewed your appeal and the evidence provided, taking into consideration all the
    points you have raised and, on this occasion, we have decided to cancel this Parking Charge.


    If the driver is planning to visit the Luton Airport Pick Up / Drop Off in future, please remember that:
    • The Luton Airport Pick Up / Drop Off is a chargeable zone.
    • A charge of £7 applies for a stay of up to 10 minutes, plus £1 per minute thereafter.
    • The £7 charge applies each time your vehicle visits the Luton Airport Pick Up / Drop Off.
    • A maximum stay of 30 minutes is permitted.
    • Payment for your visit to the Luton Airport Pick Up / Drop Off must be made online at https://lla.info
    • You have until midnight the following day to pay the charge.
    Failure to pay the charge in accordance with the terms and conditions will result in a £95 Parking Charge,
    reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days.
    As this Parking Charge has been cancelled, there is no further action required by you at this time.

    Yours sincerely,
    Appeals Department
    APCOA

    After this I cracked up as hAaAHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    They still put their 2 cents in the end. It just made my day and this is so good, I feel so goooodd and that we have at least some power over some big corporations like this!!!

    It gave me extra motivation for the rest of my day now and reminds me there's still hope for us (average people) against these COR(POS).

    Thank you Coupon-mad !! Big thanks to everyone that been helpful here and also forumites who shared this free source that I used: https://appealairportpcn.co.uk/luton-drop-off-charge-appeal/

    on my appeal.

    Have a good weekend, everyone! This Saturday is giving me some nice gifts this week!!!

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    …Noice! 🙂😀

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • James_Poisson
    James_Poisson Posts: 967 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 September at 1:02PM

    So if you leave your car there for 30mins don't pay the fee you can wait for an APCOA PCN, save £2 and get extra time to pay it, what a good deal! 😀

  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 165,837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 September at 1:48PM

    …yep but we don't do that, do we?

    No need.

    When I drove to Heathrow twice in August, to pick up and drop off a family member coming to my son's wedding, I parked in the long stay T4 which gives you an hour or two free.

    Sat there and read a book waiting while they used the shuttle to get to me. All free.

    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top or bottom of any page where it says:
    Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.