Sneaky....Redundancy Date....

Options
I have been made redundant because of lack of available work.I'm 65.My start date was 14/02/2022 ..I will receive my last payment next week on 09/02/2024.How would ACAS view this please given the 2 years required for a Redundancy Payment.Previous to 14/02/2022 I worked for a year for the company  with an agency.

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    ACAS might view this as suspicious given how close to two years it appears but there is nothing that they could do about it. You would know for yourself whether there was sufficient work available for all employees and can those left pick up the slack. I was made redundant twice during my working life luckily I was able to retire after the second. Given you are 65 it is up to you whether you actively seek work to take you up to and beyond statutory retirement age/ Remember it is the job that is redundant not yourself, 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    The time is counted from when you are told you are being let go/made redundant not from when you receive the last payment. 

You have less than two years service so you are simply being let go rather than being made redundant. 
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    Ok....they have promised me £700 for a Non-Disclosure Agreement .....although they have not come back to me yet.Of course I will take that.Do they pay that or do ACAS please.I am a bit of a workaholic and have already secured a couple of Interviews with Blue Chip Companies.The thought of Double Bubble ...receiving a wage and Fully Paid Up State Pension is quite appealing.I thought it would be with this rich family firm....but not to be!!  
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have they offered to cover the costs of a solicitor to discuss with you what the NDA means?  Might just be a one hour session but good to know what you're putting your name to.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    Brie said:
    Have they offered to cover the costs of a solicitor to discuss with you what the NDA means?  Might just be a one hour session but good to know what you're putting your name to.
    I dont think I should push them for that.I think they are aware I am awfully well connected in their area.Im not expecting any further dissapointments from them!!!
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting as having discussed this on an Internet forum seems a little late to discuss an NDA.

That said normally employment related issues where a financial settlement is agreed are covered by a compromise agreement for which one of the requirements I believe is independent legal advice. 

As long as the company have given you the requisite notice as agreed in your employment contract or by law if more then I don't think there is a lot you can do.

Companies are allowed to dismiss employees within the first two years as long as they follow any contractual terms and don't dismiss for any protected characteristics etc. 
  • Puddings
    Puddings Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When were you formally given notice of redundancy and what was your final date of employment please? 
    Really should be doing some work...
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    2 days ago Puddings ...only verbally  tho...they gave me a weeks notice saying I didnt have to work it...and then there will be another payment next week which is my week in arrears.I have had the first payment today.
  • Mustbeananswer??
    Options
    Grumpydil....to be honest..there are 80 million people in the country ...they would be very clever to narrow it down to me ...do you have any idea who I am....precisely??
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Inside 2 years you can just be let go rather than being made redundant; however, redundancy looks better on your cv, so they are doing you a favour.
    I think that after 2 years your statutory entitlement is a week's pay per year, so not huge money.
    Also consider any outstanding holiday entitlement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback