Pet prescriptions long term medication

Options
RL11
RL11 Posts: 177 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 1 February at 8:36PM in Pets & pet care
My dog is going to be 15 this year and has been on Propalin since age 11 and will be on it for the rest of her life - it helps stop bladder leak issues.

My vet charges more for a 30ml bottle, than a 100ml bottle I can buy online. In order to get a prescription to buy the online product,  I have to pay £26 for the prescription plus a consultation, which costs £49 - so effectively £75 to get a prescription! Because the prescription allows me to purchase 2 x 100ml bottles, it does work out fractionally cheaper.

On 1st September 2023, new regulations came into place, that allow a vet to issue a prescription without carrying out an examination - but it's up to the vet if they want to waive the examination or not.

I was obviously hopeful that my vet would waive the examination but they have said not. They still want to examine my dog, even though an examination will not change anything and she will always remain on Propalin for life.

Can anyone suggest a way to overcome this unfair £49 consultation fee? I am thinking of finding another vet and/or complaining to some regulator but I'm not sure who would help.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How long does 200ml last? 

It's generally responsible to review a pet/persons health when on long term medications especially if those medicines are linked to potential negative side effects. The simplest solution is to find another vets that at least won't want to see them for every repeat prescription but maybe once a year or such
  • SensibleSarah
    SensibleSarah Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the 'finding a new vet' option tbh! It's generally good practice for any pet on long-term meds to have a consultation every six months or so, but if the condition is well managed and stable, they definitely shouldn't need to see her every time they do a repeat prescription. My vet are pretty good on that front - they will always advise to buy online if it's cheaper and do what they can to make that happen. 
    Not sure where you are based but Animal Trust vets don't charge for consultations if you happen to be near one. 
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    here is no body you you cab refer to over vet's pricing. They are  private businesses and set their own charges, the same as any other business.

You  missed the last sentence.

Vets will no longer always need to carry out a physical examination to take an animal ‘under their care’ and prescribe prescription only veterinary medicines (POM-Vs) The examination may take place virtually (via video or telephone consultation) rather than in person.

So, there is still a consultation so the charge may be the same.
  • RL11
    Options
    On reflection, I shouldn't really be conflating the two costs - examination + prescription are two separate things.  She is due a check-up in April anyway, which I now won't need. It's just infuriating that I cannot simply pay for a prescription, in order to purchase the medication. Having no option but to pay £75 to get medication that only costs £28 cannot be right. I understand the CMA are reviewing this kind of thing at present
  • Mrsmoneyspinner
    Options
    I called my vet today (Companion Care) to request repeat wormer, last prescribed in November 2023 when her vaccines were given.  They only prescribe one dose every 3 months (Dronkit),  so I am not able to request bulk dispensing.  Today I was told that new legislation in January 2024 means that my cat must be seen by the vet before prescribing.  I googled this and found this applies only to a change in prescription not a repeat of same product/brand name.  So I called back, the surgery agreed that I was right, will cancel the unnecessasry appointment and make up the prescription as requested without the need for me to use an appointment for my cat to be seen.  Had I not challenged this I would have lost the 'free' appointment in my plan and if I didn't have the cover providing that 'free appointment' I would have had to pay.  They also alwas refer to my deceased pet and not the pet I currently own whenever I call them, despite asking them to update their records for the last four years.  It is good that we have new legislation to ensure pets are receiving appropriate medication, however, the fact it is also applied to repeat wormer prescriptions is a loophole with the potential to be abused.  What happens if there is a shortage/unavailability of the prescription you normally collect? do you then have to fork out for an appointment so you can obtain an alternative?  
    Mrs Moneyspinner
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming you mean  Droncit , you can buy it online without a presription and probably cheaper than you pay your vet.
  • RL11
    Options
    Droncit £1.80 per tablet from VetUK. No prescription required. Vet is probably ripping you off  :'(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback