Modern car lights.

knightstyle
knightstyle Posts: 6,972
First Post First Anniversary
Forumite
Yes i know the headlights on new Chelsea tractors are always too high and bright but this is about indicator lights being almost impossible to see.
Just followed a 22 reg Puma with its fog lights on, braking at the bottom of a hill and indicating, the indicator is tiny and not easy to see.  Is there a rule about how visible it should be?   

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 292
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There are regulations in relation to indicators however I suspect the issue here is due to use of the fog lamps when they should have been off

• knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,972
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks, that says 15 to 35 watts. But cars nowadays have LED lights so do they not comply?
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,806
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks, that says 15 to 35 watts. But cars nowadays have LED lights so do they not comply?

We no doubt just follow EU rules, there will be some more up to date rules, I guess the rules should say the recommended brightness, lumen.
  • 35har1old
    35har1old Posts: 965
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mark_d said:
    There are regulations in relation to indicators however I suspect the issue here is due to use of the fog lamps when they should have been off

Electric vehicles tend to have a full width display of red lights and I agree the indicator light does appear to be less noticeable even when the fog lights on not illuminated 
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,910
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 February at 7:02PM

We no doubt just follow EU rules, there will be some more up to date rules, I guess the rules should say the recommended brightness, lumen.

ECE R6

In RVLR 1989 it says that E marked lamps have no requirement on wattage or intensity, this is because to get the approval mark they had to conform to the required intensity in the first place, they only conform when fitted with the specified bulb or LED module- which is why retrofitted LED "bulbs" are illegal (but no-one cares, except for headlights)

I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Goudy
    Goudy Posts: 1,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 2 February at 6:58AM
    I was just stopped at the traffic lights behind one of those Japanese import mini vans this morning.
    It had some daft name like Nissan Elgrand Honeyrider S Highway XL VG something or other.

There were lights in the rear quarter panels about waist height, lights right across the rear door, more lights under the ones in the rear quarter panels and lights in the bumper.

Then there was the copious amounts of "chrome" (plastic) splattered across the back, which I must admit was no mean feat getting it all on there when it had so many name badges.

When I approached it there appeared to around 6 different red lights on the back all with different intensities (no the fogs in the bumper weren't on either) and the dazzle from all the cheap "chrome" reflected off it like a distorted disco ball.

Then after all that, the traffic lights change and the driver pulls forward a few feet to turn right without even indicating.

I thought he might have done me a favour though, with the indicators flashing and all the other lights I might have had a seizure!
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,663
    Forumite
    This isn't a modern car problem. There have been bad designs for years where it has been hard to see the indicators in use with other lights on.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,709
    Forumite
    400ixl said:
    This isn't a modern car problem. There have been bad designs for years where it has been hard to see the indicators in use with other lights on.
    Seem to remember one manufacture placing indicator in the middle of a circlular light cluster with the brake light round the outside of the indicator.
    Same with some now that have LED indicators that are a couple of inches long & single led width...
    Life in the slow lane
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's seems to be more important that cars look good than whether they work well.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback