Decent transparent weather seal that i can use on exterior window frames AND stonework?

Hiya, 

I want to "weather seal"  the exterior window frames' varnish, and also, the horizontal stonework underneath it, ie the ledge... I understand that stonework should be allowed to "breathe", but i'd be sealing just the ledge, not the remainder of the vast majority of the vertical stonework. (My logic is that the stonework ledge will take the brunt of the weather, whereas, if the rain hits the vertical wall, it will just run off)

Can anyone recommend a long lasting transparent product that would allow me to "weather seal" both the external window frames and the stone ledge?

Many thanks,

Chris 

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,678
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Post a photo of the frames and stonework there is lots to consider and the photo should answer a lot of the questions that will arise.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 249
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    As your window frames are "varnished", I assume they are timber. Timber flexes depending on humidity and temperature, on the other hand stonework is inflexible. Each of these surfaces seems to require a different treatment, the finish on the timber must flex with the timber but the finish on the stone doesn't.
    Not sure if your "varnish," is what you say it is as flexible top-coat clear finishes have been around for decades now eg Sadolins, a breathable, flexible, top-coat. But products like Sadolins are not suitable for stonework.
    Cutting corners by have one paint system for both applications, spells disaster to me.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback