Arthritis in left knee
Arthritis in lower spine
Impingement in left shoulder
Hypothyroidism
As yet undiagnosed inflammatory condition
Weak eye focusing muscle

Quite the list!

Age 60, married wife working full time

Our child was born in 2015, after 4 months i became full time stay at home parent.
I was to return to working in 2020 when child started school, unfortunately i went down with Covid in August. The result of this was i had severe fatigue and breathing issues for best part of a year.

Covid also meant treatment for shoulder was delayed, was hip and knee issues.

Arthritis in lower spine means it is difficult to sit in upright position, car, chairs, standing for small amount of time causes pain. Condition gets worse as day goes on.

My right ankle has severe arthritis, operations required in 2010.

In 2022 i started should treatment with steroid injections, also was diagnosed with arthritis in lower spine and both hips. New right hip May 2022.

I have operation on left shoulder sometime after May 2024, had similar operation on right shoulder in 2009.

I have a propensity for bone spurs, right hip had as did right ankle and both shoulders.

My left knee and right ankle pain has held back hip recover, operation on left should will delay left hip replacement as will right ankle as will not be able to take my full weight after operation. Both of these have got worse since hip operation.

I just had x-rays on right ankle and left knee and have appointment with Dr to discuss the results.

I still suffer fatigue, could thyroid or long covid.

I have pain in both wrists and hands, with fat fingers and stiffness, loss of strength these are worse at night. Awaiting to see consultant regarding positive test for inflammation marker.

My weak eye muscle causes me to see a ghost image, like a drop shadow not full diplopia. I have corrective glasses, but fatigue and eye strain can still cause problems. Loss ability to see details.

With all the above i have not been able to return to work, i have been claiming PIP for last year, just basic no mobility.

Are there any other benefits i could claim as just having one income in making finances difficult, we would not qualify for any tax credits as my wife's salary is above threshold.

many thanks

Comments

• Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,146
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 1 February at 4:04PM
    The only potential other benefit would be Universal Credit, if your savings are below £16,000 and depending on the maximum award for your circumstances vs your wife's wage.  With PIP daily living you could have the carer element on a UC claim, and you may possibly qualify for LCWRA if assessed, which both increase the maximum potential award.

You can try a benefits calculator
    https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk/
    https://www.entitledto.co.uk/

The only other option I can think of is whether you consider the PIP decision to be correct, and if not to possibly pursue a higher award.  But only do that if you fully understand how PIP is assessed (we can signpost you to information), or if you get some accredited advice from e.g. the CAB.
  • Thanks for your reply and advice,

My wife is in the 40% tax bracket so unlikely to get universal credit. 

The LCWRA looks like a possibility, how do i start that process?

My PIP was for 3 years and has 2 more to go.

To be honest i was not entirely happy with the PIP decision, but had too much on plate with the hip operation and recovery to take it further.

I was also diagnosed as Bi Polar 2 with social anxiety around the age of 30, i am able to manage my Bi Polar without medication and wife the support of my wife, but social anxiety can still be a problem for me. They dismissed both of these in PIP claim as in the video assessment they deemed me unaffected by conditions as i was able to have a conversation with the assessor, which sort of misses the point of both conditions.

I don't fully understand the PIP assessment so any advice would be welcome.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CAB for accredited advice?

many thanks

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,716
    Forumite
    LCWRA is part of UC so if there’s no entitlement to this then you won’t be able to claim LCWRA. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement.

CAB is Citizens Advice, which is an advice agency.

For PIP have a read of this. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-the-assessment-criteria#daily-living-activities
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Forumite
    You may be out of time to challenge the initial PIP decision - when was the decision made (which month/year)?

The link poppy has given is the most thorough for PIP.  That is how it's supposed to be assessed.  But you may also find this useful as a slightly simplified overview:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-decisions-are-made/  (including the PDFs linked within that page)

There is also https://pipinfo.net/ with in-depth case law if you're not sure about certain activities.
  • Thanks for replies,
    is this site useful or just a money grab?
    benefitsandwork.co.uk
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,216
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for replies,
    benefitsandwork.co.uk
    At £20 a year its does not seem a massive amount to grab, however it goes both ways.
    If you pay the £20 and it helps you get PIP then it could be seen as money well spent, but you can access such help for free.  There is no guarantee of PIP so if you pay £20 and your application is turned down then its £20 wasted.
    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Forumite
    Thanks for replies,
    benefitsandwork.co.uk
    As far as I understand it's pretty much an amalgamation of info that can be found elsewhere for free.  For some people it's worth it, and for others it's not.

You might get just as useful specific information if you Google PIP arthritis, PIP fatigue, PIP vision, PIP pain, PIP breathlessness, etc.

But do check out the links given already first.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback