PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Irish Tea Loaf

Options
Talking about authentic recipes is always a minefield, so apologies in advance.  And I realise 'authentic' is also a tricky concept.  However, I've had a handed down tea loaf recipe for ages but have noticed lately that it's somehow not as good as I remember it or my tastebuds have changed perhaps.  Mine is quite a simple one, without peel, spices, cream, butter etc which feature in the many hundreds of variations I've found.  I've tried a few I've found and find them took complicated or something.  I do actually prefer the simpler versions with fewer ingredients and 'twists'.
Anyway, it got me to wondering if anyone had an old Irish cookbook or a handed down recipe they'd kindly share.
Thanks.

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a handed down recipe for one somewhere but never tasted like I remember the one my gran used to make (whose recipe it is recorded). But she was blind as a bat and never measured anything so the measurements are one of her daughters estimating what their mum/my gran had put in. She was also one to wing it a little so whilst she'd say the recipe was fixed I've seen her make substitutions. Will post it if I come across it. 

She did also used to do "Irish Stuffing" which was potato based, never got the recipe and it was another that the daughters didn't record well. 
  • Wraithlady
    Wraithlady Posts: 856 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a cookbook from the 70's (I collect them) and the recipe for 'Irish Brack' is pretty much as above apart from it doesn't include treacle (and I'm not sure about the spices)
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • t33
    t33 Posts: 164 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for responses.  It seems we are all talking roughly the same basic ingredients (with some recipes having some frills).  I do prefer the basic, but am intrigued with the marmalade, I can see that being a nice addition for a variation and will give it a try. 
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    I was thinking the same about trying my nan's recipe with a drop of whiskey/brandy ;) 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 February at 3:19AM
    Options
    I have my fruit soaking in tea overnight with mixed dried fruit dated bb August 23. Maybe I should put alcohol in to kill any nasties.

I have a no knead bread mix in a second bowl. The kitchen should smell nice tomorrow 
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I know it's not tea loaf but I use this recipe often and it is very good. I just mix all ingredients together with a mixer, add the fruit and bake in a loaf tin for 50 mins.

The see note was just a suggestion of fruit. Butter being cubed and sugar says brown gives a darker colour.

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks @JIL . The price of soft brown sugar (not demerara) is quite high atm, 50% above the low (have just checked on Trolley). Will stock up if it ever gets near the £3.40/kg mark.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport