Statutory Credit Report - Creates Hard (Visible) Search

Options
After last night's MLMS I decided to try the credit agency TransUnion and get my only outstanding statutory credit report.

What I wasn't expecting was that obtaining this report would leave a hard (visible-to-others) search albeit listed as an ID check. Surely this should have been a soft check? I can envisage this could harm potential credit applications if the lender looks only for the presence or number of hard searches and not the detail.

Perhaps TransUnion and ML could have warned people of this?

---
100% debt-free!

Comments

• CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't worry, it's only a soft search for ID check.  They're just covering their backside by saying it "may" be visible to other lenders - a soft ID search won't be visible to anyone except you.
  • Saga
    Saga Posts: 302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't worry, it's only a soft search for ID check.  They're just covering their backside by saying it "may" be visible to other lenders - a soft ID search won't be visible to anyone except you.

Are you sure, as clicking the other tab ("Your Searches") lists searches visible only to the report subject, which would be the natural/obvious place for the ID check?
    ---
    100% debt-free!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport