Car Insurance - New Driver

Hi, any advice for getting reasonable car insurance for my soon-to-be driving daughter please?

Is it possible to build up no claims on a cheap moped as an example?  I'm trying to think of the best way to prepare!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Soon to be a learner driver or soon to have passed their test? The later is the much more expensive. 

Will they have their own vehicle or be driving yours?

its a minority that allow you to transfer from bike to car, limiting yourself to those insurers may result in higher premiums than simply coming as a new customer with no NCD. 
  • Muskey
    Muskey Posts: 339
    Forumite
    No claims from mopeds/motorcycles/vans cannot normally be transferred to car insurance.

Don’t be tempted to insure in your name with her as named driver…..that is called fronting and is illegal.

Best advice is to just shop around.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 253
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Muskey said:
    No claims from mopeds/motorcycles/vans cannot normally be transferred to car insurance.

Don’t be tempted to insure in your name with her as named driver…..that is called fronting and is illegal.

Surely "fronting" only occurs if the learner is in truth the main driver, while another person insures in own their name AND the learner is "named driver"?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,158
    Forumite
    Muskey said:

Surely "fronting" only occurs if the learner is in truth the main driver, while another person insures in own their name AND the learner is "named driver"?
    If its the "main driver" or policyholder/named driver will vary by insurer buy yes, its if the policy doesn't reflect the reality... so as you say the experienced driver is the main driver (which could be by default the policyholder) and the learner/new driver isn't the main driver (again which could be by default as a named driver) when in reality the learner/new driver is the main driver. 

If the truth is its the OP's car they use every day for commuting, weekend trips away etc and they will be giving an hours driving practice 3 times a week then clearly the OP is the main driver and so it wouldn't be fronting. 
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,161
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    CyberCatK said:
    Hi, any advice for getting reasonable car insurance for my soon-to-be driving daughter please?
    If she has a full licence and doesn't need to run her own car to start with then there is Marmalade Young Driver Insurance, which is an add on policy, e.g. my car is insured with LV, but my daughter has a Marmalade policy which covers her to drive it. If she has an accident I don't have a claim on my policy. If she doesn't have an accident, she earns NCD.
    There's a black box, a mileage limit and various other requirements that you will need to check are suitable to her needs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback