We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
No fault collision, left without a car due to write-off
Hi,
My vehicle was in a collision recently, after coming round a left-hand bend and finding an oncoming vehicle on my side of the road - not just straddling the line, but fully in my lane.
The crash was significant in that my vehicle was clearly a write-off, at least to all those attending, e.g., police, members of the public that stopped to help.
My problem here is that the car is written off, so I don't get a courtesy car while the claim is being settled. I didn't take out 'guaranteed courtesy car' due to the extra cost, and honestly wasn't aware of this little snippet of information until I queried it with my insurer.
I understand that once the vehicle is assessed I'll get an offer from the insurer, but the delays cause an issue for family transport. We live in rural area and travel every day to look after/feed animals which we now are unable to do.
I'm not in a position financially to go and hire a vehicle, and we have no family or friends that could lend one to us. Liability has not been officially admitted by the other driver/insurer so getting a vehicle with the intention of claiming costs from them at this stage is a risk I'm not willing to take.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this, so what are my options to get a vehicle quickly that we can use until we have our claim settled?
I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with any input.
Thank you!
My vehicle was in a collision recently, after coming round a left-hand bend and finding an oncoming vehicle on my side of the road - not just straddling the line, but fully in my lane.
The crash was significant in that my vehicle was clearly a write-off, at least to all those attending, e.g., police, members of the public that stopped to help.
My problem here is that the car is written off, so I don't get a courtesy car while the claim is being settled. I didn't take out 'guaranteed courtesy car' due to the extra cost, and honestly wasn't aware of this little snippet of information until I queried it with my insurer.
I understand that once the vehicle is assessed I'll get an offer from the insurer, but the delays cause an issue for family transport. We live in rural area and travel every day to look after/feed animals which we now are unable to do.
I'm not in a position financially to go and hire a vehicle, and we have no family or friends that could lend one to us. Liability has not been officially admitted by the other driver/insurer so getting a vehicle with the intention of claiming costs from them at this stage is a risk I'm not willing to take.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this, so what are my options to get a vehicle quickly that we can use until we have our claim settled?
I'd be grateful to hear from anyone with any input.
Thank you!
0
Comments
-
From CAB: If the accident wasn’t your fault, you can use a credit hire company instead of making a claim through your insurance company. A credit hire company pays for the cost of you hiring a replacement vehicle while yours is being fixed, and pays for the cost of repairs. The company then claims back these costs from the insurance company of the other driver who is at fault in the accident.4.29kWp Solar system, 45/55 South/West split in cloudy rainy Cumbria.1
-
Your insurers will sell pass your details to a Credit Hire company if you want them to who'll provide a car on tick and reclaim their costs from the third party insurer. They are the one on risk if liability isn't found in your favour or something else goes wrong as long as you support them through their recovery attempts.0
-
Thanks both. I'll look into Credit Hire and see what I can do. Grateful for the speedy responses.
D0 -
Alternatively speak to the third party insurers, they may be willing to give a hire car when they hear your alternative is to go to a credit hire company... all depends where they are in their investigations on liability. Make sure it is the insurer and not their broker you speak to, the broker would equally pass you off to credit hire for commission.DaveZero said:Thanks both. I'll look into Credit Hire and see what I can do. Grateful for the speedy responses.
D1 -
"Alternatively speak to the third party insurers, they may be willing to give a hire car when they hear your alternative is to go to a credit hire company..."
Unfortunately given my experience of trying this with Direct Line, they lied and blackmailed so much I would stick with Credit hire hateful as that option may feel to many.0 -
Whilst we all know you have an axe to grind, the OP doesn't say who the third party insurer is and so statistically its unlikely to be Direct Linecaprikid1 said:"Alternatively speak to the third party insurers, they may be willing to give a hire car when they hear your alternative is to go to a credit hire company..."
Unfortunately given my experience of trying this with Direct Line, they lied and blackmailed so much I would stick with Credit hire hateful as that option may feel to many.0 -
I spoke with the third party's insurers (not DL!). While we have photos and police records, and the other driver's statement that they were on the wrong side of the road, it turns out they've not actually said it was their fault at this stage. They won't officially accept liability until either the driver contacts them or enough time has passed for the insurance company to act without them.
I contacted one Contract Hire company (ACA?) who said they were also accident and recovery so would need to take over from my insurer before issuing a car.
At this point I feel like visiting the other driver for a chat. I'll try and get a hire car for a week, there are some good deals for about £150 for a little car, see if I can work out some way of covering it until this is settled.0 -
Your insurer will normally have a deal with a credit hire company who is happy for them to deal with the repairs/total loss and they just provide hire. Means less money for them but the majority is in the hire car.0
-
Errrr...No. You really do not want to do that. It is an absolute can of worms. These guys charge extortionate rates for the car hire and, unless the other party is found liable, you will be picking up the cost.DaveZero said:Thanks both. I'll look into Credit Hire and see what I can do. Grateful for the speedy responses.
D1 -
No you don't, thats the very reason why the rates are high because they have to absorb the cases where the third party lies about the circumstances or gave false details etc.MEM62 said:
Errrr...No. You really do not want to do that. It is an absolute can of worms. These guys charge extortionate rates for the car hire and, unless the other party is found liable, you will be picking up the cost.DaveZero said:Thanks both. I'll look into Credit Hire and see what I can do. Grateful for the speedy responses.
D1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

