Full house carpet from £975

Options
OrbitHeadache
OrbitHeadache Posts: 265 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 30 January at 10:17PM in Is this quote fair?
Free underlay
Free Grippers
Free door bars

I have got a 3 bedroom terraced house and the the guy is coming out on Thursday to give to do measurements and give us an exact quote.

Now despite their website saying they can do a full house from £975 I am expecting it to be higher due to removal of old carpet.

How much an average would it cost to put a new carpet down for a full house?

I have no idea about carpets so am wondering what to expect?

Comments

• Cloth_of_Gold
    Cloth_of_Gold Posts: 878 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It very much depends on the quality of the carpets and underlay you want and what the square footage is but the word 'from' should warn you that meeting your requirements may well not fall at the lower end of the scale.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The "carpet it to sell / rent" cheapest possible sollution is ultra thin cheap cord carpet. Usually without underlay. The lowest price would be a house with the smallest area and presumably no stairs. Turns on the stairs take more carpet, and stairs and odd shape rooms take longer. Get a few quotes. The carpet guy I use works from his van, has samples but no showroom overhead. Now and again I've had quotes from others but he beats them hands down.

I haven't carpeted a full house for years, always some laminate flooring or other hard floor in at least one room now.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is the house empty?

A neighbour asked for a quote from a 'we guarantee to carpet your house for less' set up, because the 'typical' quote for a 3 bedroom house was very tempting.....

Not only was the actual quote, for decent quality carpet, underlay and all fittings, very reasonable, they reckoned they could do the whole job in one day.

Neighbour queried the time scale, as her husband and sons would need to empty each room of furniture before the carpet went down, then put the furniture back and rinse and repeat for the next room.

"Oh no", says the carpet guy, "That quote is on the condition that the entire house is completely empty before we start.  If we have to spread out the fitting over several days then it will cost more...."

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback