Share transfer to spouse

HI all, I'm looking for some tax advice. I was awarded some shares by an ex-employer that are held with an overseas broker. Under the conditions of the award I'm allowed to sell them but not allowed to transfer them away from the broker. I'd like to gift some shares to my spouse so that he can sell them and use his CGT allowance. Would I have to physically transfer them (i.e. he'd have to open an account with the overseas broker - which would be painful) or can I instead write a legally binding letter gifting them to him and sell them directly from my account on his behalf? I'd like to keep this as administratively simple as possible but am concerned that there may be a requirement by HMRC for specific documentation to prove that I have gifted them to him. Any help will be gratefully received, thank you :) 
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards