Halfords - is this correct, and if yes, legal?

2»

Comments

  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    As mine is well-worn, I bought an alternator on Halfords' website and collected it from a nearby Halfords store (Washington). The part was branded and competively priced, plus I get a 20% discount for having a membership card - so far so good.

    When I asked about fitting it, they said they couldn't there, but it could be installed at the nearby Autocentre (garage) in Concorde a mile or so away. However, they then told me that as well as labour costs for the installation, I would have to pay for the part a SECOND TIME there, as "they're not allowed to fit parts bought from other companies". They told me that all parts purchased away from the Autocentre are added to the labour cost, even though the customer already owns them and Halfords provides nothing (in this case, the component cost £204.60). I pointed out that I was actually in a Halfords branch buying the part, and they told me that Halfords Autocentres are a different, separate company, and that a part bought at a Halfords store is not regarded as a Halfords purchase by a Halfords Autocentre!!! I asked Halfords about this via social media, but my comments seem to have been removed. It would be interesting to investigate the accuracy and indeed legality of this!

    My faith in Halfords is already strained, as last year I took my car in with a slow pressure leak in one tyre (it was losing about 10psi a week and I had to keep reinflating it). After a couple of hours they told me it was a fitting issue which they had fixed. A week later it was still leeching pressure and when I took it back in, this time they told me that the mechanic had made a note that they couldn't remove the wheel as I hadn't taken along my locking nut adapter. Imagine their faces when I pointed out that my car didn't have locking wheel nuts, and so it was clear nobody had even looked. The problem turned out to be a screw on the inside edge of the tyre, which could have led eventually to something quite dangerous.

    What car is it? how do you know it needed an alternator? I live i Washington and MAY be able to help you fit it yourself.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    It’s where the contract was concluded that counts - if OP ordered online and paid upon collection in store then Halfords don’t have to do anything (though there may be some mileage in any failure by them to make the customer aware that the part could not be fitted at Halfords Autocentre.) If the contract was concluded online then the CCR’s apply and OP has the right to return.

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome 

    If no money changes hands in store, collection is simply a delivery option. 
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What car is this alternator for? I got one fitted, including the fan belt for £245
    So take your alternator to a local garage
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,578 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kim_13 said:

    If no money changes hands in store, collection is simply a delivery option. 
    Halfords website doesn't give the option to pay in store, it's all done online
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Robbo66
    Robbo66 Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Kim_13 said:
    It’s where the contract was concluded that counts - if OP ordered online and paid upon collection in store then Halfords don’t have to do anything (though there may be some mileage in any failure by them to make the customer aware that the part could not be fitted at Halfords Autocentre.) If the contract was concluded online then the CCR’s apply and OP has the right to return.

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome 

    If no money changes hands in store, collection is simply a delivery option. 
    Whenever I've bought car parts from Halfords online they do give you the option to have it fitted, i would presume at that point you are notified of where to take it and the part is deliver there.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Robbo66 said:
    Kim_13 said:
    It’s where the contract was concluded that counts - if OP ordered online and paid upon collection in store then Halfords don’t have to do anything (though there may be some mileage in any failure by them to make the customer aware that the part could not be fitted at Halfords Autocentre.) If the contract was concluded online then the CCR’s apply and OP has the right to return.

    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/#buyingfromhome 

    If no money changes hands in store, collection is simply a delivery option. 
    Whenever I've bought car parts from Halfords online they do give you the option to have it fitted, i would presume at that point you are notified of where to take it and the part is deliver there.
    They certainly do that for things like wiper blades and bulbs that can be fitted by a pimpled youth in the car park - do they do it for things that are a garage job (or at least a serious DIY job) to fit?

    (If they don't then I would assume that fitting was not an option - I would not assume that I could walk into any particular garage and demand that they fit the part that I brought in with me unless I'd asked first.)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards