PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

BetterMove wants £1,000 from my son to buy a house!

Comments

• MultiFuelBurner
    MultiFuelBurner Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Run forest run !!!!!!!
  • Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi Beveve, 
    I’m from Bettermove so perhaps I can help ease your mind. 
    In which case maybe it would be more credible if you followed the forum rules and registered as a representative 

The MSE Forum Guide: Frequently Asked Questions & Rules (moneysavingexpert.com)
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 31 January at 2:13PM
    I just decided not to view a house  being sold through British Home Buyers. The listing clearly states a £2000 deposit must be paid up front to be returned on completion provided completion takes place within a specified time frame.  

Fine in principle but not in practice as I  cannot guarantee the sale of my property, which will fund the purchase, will go through. That's down to my buyer not me.

I see the logic of paying these deposits to stop people changing their minds but it just won't work with the current system where buyers have no obligation prior to exchange 

• RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February at 5:00PM
    Pure Investments, Denton want a £2000 non-refundable reservation fee for people who want to buy this flat. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/144250289

It does imply that the £2000 comes off the eventual purchase price, here: 

Payment Plan
    1. Provide certified ID, proof of address and proof of funds to Pure Investor
    2. Reserve your unit with a signed reservation form
    3. Pay a £2,000 non-refundable reservation fee
    4. Instruct solicitor
    5. Remaining balance due on completion

But, this appears to me to be another example of Estate Agents wanting to make sure that they are paid even if a sale falls through. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 13,994 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    RHemmings said:
    Pure Investments, Denton want a £2000 non-refundable reservation fee for people who want to buy this flat. 

[quote]
    Payment Plan
    4. Instruct solicitor
    [/quote]

But, this appears to me to be another example of Estate Agents wanting to make sure that they are paid even if a sale falls through. 
    I expect there are several other reasons to run a mile from that one, beyond the reservation fee.
  • RHemmings
    user1977 said:
    RHemmings said:

[quote]
    Payment Plan
    4. Instruct solicitor
    [/quote]

I expect there are several other reasons to run a mile from that one, beyond the reservation fee.
    Yes, but it was the reservation fee that I thought most interesting (not in a good way) for this listing. 
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 568 Forumite
    Crazy, that. Surely they should be taking that 2k from the seller?? 
  • london21
    london21 Posts: 2,096 Forumite
    Does not sound or feel right.

Personally I wouldn't. 
  • RHemmings
    edited 2 February at 8:21AM
    BobT36 said:
    My guess about these schemes is that it works like this: Sellers decide which EA sells their house. So, if the EA can offer no fees to sellers, then that's a competitive advantage to sign up certain sellers. Those sellers who don't think it through carefully and don't realise that fees to the buyer (particularly non-refundable fees that aren't returned if the sale falls through) put off a large proportion of buyers and then the house is much less likely to sell. 

Nothing to stop potential buyers offering on the house but making it a condition of their offer that they don't pay the £2k. 
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,418 Forumite
    edited 2 February at 10:55AM

BobT36 said:

The thread is getting confusing, because different companies with different business models are being mentioned.

RHemmings said:

This company appear to charge sellers 1.25% + vat for selling their property.

But they also charge buyers a £2k reservation fee.

I suspect their argument would be that it stops timewasters. i.e. People who make offers, then walk away (for no good reason). That kind of timewaster would lose their £2k reservation fee.

But it's much more complicated than that...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback