Bank charges on death

Options
I have received a letter which says that the bank has refused payments which were called for and imposed charges on the account of a deceased family member. When the bank has frozen the account should they be doing this? Also, the letter says ‘in future you must ensure that there is sufficient balance on your account to cover them’!. 

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was it a joint account or sole account?

If joint, then the account doesn't get frozen.   If sole, then it does.   And payments should be returned as payee deceased.     The letter sounds like a refer to drawer letter.  Either way it is an error by the bank in respect of the payments or an error in the wrong type of letter sent.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • RCat
    RCat Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    It’s an account in sole name. I think it’s an error and will contact the bank. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Speak to the bank’s bereavement team rather than call the general number.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback