MSE News: English student living loans to rise by 2.5% – but this is a real terms CUT, warns Martin

Options
English student living loans will rise by 2.5% from September, the Government has announced. But with inflation currently at 4%, it means students will see ANOTHER real terms cut in the amount they get to help them with living costs. MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE) founder Martin Lewis has warned that this is one of the biggest practical problems for students, with some not having enough money to live on.

Read the full story:
'English student living loans to rise by 2.5% in September – a real terms CUT that will leave many struggling, warns Martin Lewis'

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• jbrassy
    jbrassy Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I guarantee in a parallel universe where only pensioners go to university, the maintenance loan would increase above inflation. In fact, university would probably just be free. It's a disgrace how we treat young people in this country. The future economy will be poorer for it.
  • thelindsr
    Options
    I've found this petition to the UK Government on the matter: petition 650075 (won't let me include the link)- is this something MSE would be willing to promote and share to give the problem some focus within the government? Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback