Rockdoor issues with draughts / Noise

Hi, we had a french door pair of Rockdoors fitted last year. In the Winter this time round we noticed alot of cold in the hall and when subsequently inspected the doors more thoroughly, noticed a bunch of issues. Not sure if installer or Manufacture at this stage, 

Two main issues are draughts where the gaskets meet the thresher. And also there's alot of wind noise coming through the centre of the pair, where they meet. I've attached a photo from my thermal camera.  Im assuming this isnt normal haha. I hope not anyway for the price we paid!

I've spoke to technical at Rockdoor who have been helpful but ultimately told me to go via the installer, i cant have the original installer back here so need to look at a different option. Just wondering if people on here had much experience OR know a good fitter in the NW who could advise?  

thanks

Scott

Comments

• jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,105
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Can you adjust the doors? Might just need moving a bit via the hinges. Though, tbf, I think you need to accept some draughty due to the type of doors you’ve fitted
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 247
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Why can't you have the original installer back? They stopped trading, you don't trust them, etc. Useful to ponder before giving any advice.
  • SteeleyScott
    SteeleyScott Posts: 47
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Why can't you have the original installer back? They stopped trading, you don't trust them, etc. Useful to ponder before giving any advice.
    This was among other things they did for us. Which I wasn't hugely impressed by. My confidence in them resolving the issue is sub par, to say the least.

I also noticed after the fact they aren't on the rockdoor approved vendor list.
  • SteeleyScott
    Forumite
    Can you adjust the doors? Might just need moving a bit via the hinges. Though, tbf, I think you need to accept some draughty due to the type of doors you’ve fitted
    I can - though rock specifically say if the user is meddling with them it will invalidate the warranty.

Could you elaborate on why this type of door is more prone to draughts?
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 247
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If your fitters aren't "approved" Rockdoor fitters then likely you have no warranty support from Rickdoor. Reckon the warranty will sit with the fitters, who have bought the doors from Rockdoor, who have sold & fitted them in your house. That's no good to you.
    I have some French doors fitted and to help create a draught seal an extra rubber strip set into the threshold. As your fitters are not approved fitters, I am guessing they might not know the accessories eg thresholds, to fit with these doors. But I have to agree with others, these are big doors, unless you need a door opening nearly 1.5m(?) wide (both doors open) I would have considered a fixed side panel with less halving the opportunity for draughts. Your next move might be to contact Rockdoor and ask them to send out a technician to see what can be done, with any work to be done via an approved fitter. Sorry but on that basis, anything that can be done you would need to pay for.
  • SteeleyScott
    Forumite
    Hi Dave, no thats quite alright and i largely agree with you.

Im going to push for rock technical to come out and take look. They have actually been happy to advise (mostly generically though) via email so far. But in person would be much better ofcourse.

RE: double doors, it's ofcourse subjective, but all our doorways internal are double, so i wanted to continue the theme. And it looks grand. I didn't expect it to be this bad regarding draughts mind you!

I had considered putting more strips in the threshold and even considered the draught excluder types that  bolt onto the rear face of the door, the brush type ones. I'll probably do all that regardless. But also want to make sure the doors are appropriately fitted and arent bowed etc! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback