Eon next fix.

jadey24
jadey24 Posts: 35
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hello,

I'm currently on an Eon fix until June 24 (Next loyalty 12 mt).
I'm on E7 in the West Midlands. 

I've logged on to my account to find they are giving me the option to change tarrif to NextSecure fixed 12 mt v4
The rates for day/night have decreased but SC has increased by 14p per day to 50p.
I'm on a mix of storages and also panel heaters. The panel heaters are in the two bedrooms, which do use day rates before bed. So 40p is a lot. But I'm not sure what the forecast is and if I should fix on this new offer or stay put and see if something better comes along.

Just after views before I decide. :)

Comments

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,624
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    It seems quite likely that you'll be better off taking the new tariff.
    Do you know your split in consumption between day and night rate? If you look back at last year's bills, can you see how much of each you used from February to June?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 4,993
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    What's your exit fee for leaving your June 24 fix early?
  • jadey24
    jadey24 Posts: 35
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 8:47PM
    QrizB said:
    It seems quite likely that you'll be better off taking the new tariff.
    Do you know your split in consumption between day and night rate? If you look back at last year's bills, can you see how much of each you used from February to June?
    Through the summer months, day usage is higher than night but I expect that. I was only running fridge, fans during night if warm and washing machine just before the change over in morning. I don't put my immersion on at all. 

    In winter, much more on night. For example, 29th Nov to Dec 28th 2022 it was Day-129 kwh and Night-462kwh.

    I do use panel heaters on day rate as I say (Pesky things) so a lower day rate than the 40p does appeal a lot to me for rest of this winter and for some of the next winter.
  • jadey24
    jadey24 Posts: 35
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Swipe said:
    What's your exit fee for leaving your June 24 fix early?
    I cannot find the information but if I recall, it was no exit fee on this fix. I'd have to contact them.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,624
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    jadey24 said:
    QrizB said:
    It seems quite likely that you'll be better off taking the new tariff.
    Do you know your split in consumption between day and night rate? If you look back at last year's bills, can you see how much of each you used from February to June?
    Through the summer months, day usage is higher than night but I expect that. I was only running fridge, fans during night if warm and washing machine just before the change over in morning. I don't put my immersion on at all. 
    In winter, much more on night. For example, 29th Nov to Dec 28th 2023 it was Day-129 kwh and Night-462kwh.
    I do use panel heaters on day rate as I say (Pesky things) so a lower day rate than the 40p does appeal a lot to me for rest of this winter and for some of the next winter.
    With you using around 4kWh/day of day-rate electricity in the wniter months, the ~10p/kWh (40p/day) saving on the day rate will easily cover the 15p/day increase to standing charge.
    And your ~2p/kWh saving on 15kWh/day of night-rate will be worth another 30p/day. Overall you'll be saving about 55p/day.
    If there's no exit fee, it seems definitely worth doing.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • jadey24
    jadey24 Posts: 35
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think my day rate is higher this winter as I have a heat pump tumble dryer and I don't run it through night. Plus, I wasn't as strict as I was last winter. I built up a lot of credit so laxed a lot. 
  • jadey24
    jadey24 Posts: 35
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    QrizB said:
    jadey24 said:
    QrizB said:
    It seems quite likely that you'll be better off taking the new tariff.
    Do you know your split in consumption between day and night rate? If you look back at last year's bills, can you see how much of each you used from February to June?
    Through the summer months, day usage is higher than night but I expect that. I was only running fridge, fans during night if warm and washing machine just before the change over in morning. I don't put my immersion on at all. 
    In winter, much more on night. For example, 29th Nov to Dec 28th 2023 it was Day-129 kwh and Night-462kwh.
    I do use panel heaters on day rate as I say (Pesky things) so a lower day rate than the 40p does appeal a lot to me for rest of this winter and for some of the next winter.
    With you using around 4kWh/day of day-rate electricity in the wniter months, the ~10p/kWh (40p/day) saving on the day rate will easily cover the 15p/day increase to standing charge.
    And your ~2p/kWh saving on 15kWh/day of night-rate will be worth another 30p/day. Overall you'll be saving about 55p/day.
    If there's no exit fee, it seems definitely worth doing.
    I just found it does have an exit fee of £75. I'm sure I heard that if you change tarrif to another tarrif with  eon, they don't apply the exit fee and it is more if you change energy companies. I will have to email them tomorrow. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards