PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you deal with estate agents by email?

2»

Comments

• theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    email.  That way you have a record of who stated what....
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    email.  That way you have a record of who stated what....
    And that's important. 
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Slightly off topic as it relates to a rental using EA as a tenent finder, but getting things agreed or confirmed by email has the massive advantage of a written record, as Artfull said.

I'd had a few issues with errors and the agent basically being too lazy to come and take new pictures when I had a tenant change (I'll just use the pictures from last time!!) so I tried a new agent. New agent tried to get me to sign up without seeing T&C's - which I wasn't going to do.

They emailed me terms, I read them and replied with several bits I didn't agree to - which included them keeping and bonding the tenants deposit. I'm a TDS member and pay to bond them myself. I manage all the deposits.

They agreed they wouldn't do this, and said that only applys to the fully managed service.

I went ahead, and you guessed it, they bonded the deposit in their own account.

This does create a big problem because tenancy sai I would bond and confirm within 7 days, and the law also has a time limit.

First the agent referred me to T&C's and said I'd agreed for this. Only on receipt of the email from them agreeing not to do this did they relent. On the phone they denied they would do this, and staff member I Had dealt with was not available.

Agent then basically said tough, we've bonded it now. Then said they couldn't pay it to me as the law required them to bond it. (not true) Then said scheme it was in did not allow withdrawals for any reason in less that 28 days.

They then had me get the tenant email them saying they agreed to the deposit going to me before finally paying it just in time for the legal deadline.

Get it in writing. Confirm telephone conversations by email where details are important. Agents make mistakes like everyone, but whether they own up and correct, or try and deny things is entirely down to the individual you deal with, like most occupations.

Sorry for long post - just trying to give a real world example.
  • bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I did email my EA.  The last email I sent I was expressing doubts about the buyer's offer, and I had marked it strictly confidential.  Unbeknown to me she did contact the buyer and told him of my doubts - and he withdrew.  Made me very wary of writing to her again.
    At least its solved your issue of doubts
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I did email my EA.  The last email I sent I was expressing doubts about the buyer's offer, and I had marked it strictly confidential.  Unbeknown to me she did contact the buyer and told him of my doubts - and he withdrew.  Made me very wary of writing to her again.

Surely time for a new agent?
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks everyone - interesting to see what people do.  I guess there are things that would have been confirmed by post last time I moved, that we now do by email. But at least I feel like my estate agent don't think I'm some kind of freaky nutter for picking up the phone to them. To be fair, i don't feel I gain a great deal by having every viewing confirmed in detail by email - especially when they're all being facilitated by the agent - but if other people like it, doesn't hurt me to get those emails too.
  • Postik
    Postik Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Does anyone use the phone for anything now, other than perhaps calling 999 when required? :D
  • Vannaa
    Vannaa Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    As a buyer the only time I spoke to an EA was at a viewing and then when I picked the keys up. Dealings with mortgage broker, conveyancers and surveyor were completely by email.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Postik said:
    Does anyone use the phone for anything now, other than perhaps calling 999 when required? :D
    Yes, quite a bit. Though, the main use of the phone number seems to be for receiving fraud attempts. 

During my purchasing process, I did receive quite a few telephone calls from EAs and my solicitors. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback