My listed ebay items, search doesn't bring many up.

Iv'e been selling again for the last 3 months after many years away. once i got used to the "new" layout and intricacies i quite like the setup and iv'e actually done really well compared to what i was expecting.
i am just moving on my own stuff that's been sitting in boxes for years.

yesterday i listed around 25 items, all of the same line so the title was standard with all the relevant important buzz words that applied, only the last bit was specific to the item and that described which it was of the line.

bear in mind i have already used this "template" a lot and sold many items so had no reason to think there was an issue.

but i have discovered, checked yesterday and this morning that no matter what words i search, only one of my listings comes up. i am trying "best match" and "newly listed". it's just the same item appears in the results.

i find if i use a buzz word and the very specific final bit then that result will come up but my items need to appear using any of the several main buzz words.

iv'e had no views on many of the listings. like i said iv'e sold many but quite a few to a hand full of individuals so that may mean they just used "see sellers other items".

whats happening to my items in "search results"?

Comments

• Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,184
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have noticed on eBay search that sometimes when you put a search term in it changes the category based on what it thinks you're looking for -so instead for example  of all categories it will switch to eg clothes and accessories

check after the search that the dropdown box still shows all categories
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,916
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    no matter what i do, which words or categories searched i can't see any listings from yesterday other than the one random one. all were listed together from "drafts". oddly i have listed one additional item today and it shows up on search.
  • I do wonder, perhaps cynically, whether eBay do hide listing where you don’t pay extra. I’ve had listings which have got quick a number of views but which haven’t sold and so have been relisted and next time round, they get no views.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,184
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 January at 3:29PM
    let me give you an example let's say you had listed an Erman tapestry kit and the phrase ehrman tapestry kit was in the listing header.

now you try to find the listing - go to the search box and type in 'ehrman tapestry kit' and make sure the drop down box box says 'all categories'

press enter

you will see the drop down box at magically changes to 'needlepoints and tapestry kits' so if you had listed it anywhere else (even a slight variation in the sub category) it would not show up and nobody would find it either unless you manually change the drop down box to 'all categories' again

this happens in numerous other categories and it means if you list something you have to be super careful of which category put it in otherwise anyone searching using the keywords you would expect will find their search scan go from all categories to something else and yours won't be found

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,882
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    They aren’t too similar are they to be identified as ‘identical’ ? ebay only show the first item listed if the bits consider the rest duplicates. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pfpf
    Forumite
    edited 29 January at 8:52AM
    soolin said:
    They aren’t too similar are they to be identified as ‘identical’ ? ebay only show the first item listed if the bits consider the rest duplicates. 
    oh. they are identical then i end with : and the name of the actual item which may make the listing one or two words different.
    does editing after listing change if they will be displayed?

...and yes. looking at my "active listings" list i see the one that does show on search results is the 1st one listed in ebay,s eyes although all were listed together from drafts. 
  • pfpf
    Forumite
    nope, can't get any results up in any meaningful way without adding the very specific end bit, no one will search that. this has been working well for the last 3 months but zero sales since listing this last lot means somethings up. no views on 95% of them either.
  • pfpf
    Forumite
    my listings have started appearing now. there's something in it regarding all having the same title other than the last bit but i think "relist" & "sell similar" must have an impact. if i search the term that was producing zero results using "best match" my stuff is appearing quite near the top right now. if i search via "newly listed" they are not appearing anywhere near in the right place time/date wise if at all.
    these were a mix of relist and sell similar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback