Buildings Insurance Claim Advice

Options
My roof was blown off during storm Isha on Sunday night resulting in my boiler flue being ripped out of the roof and the boiler being condemned and then water ingress. We now have a tarpaulin in situ but things are honestly not great with no heating and hot water and the racket of the tarp and rain streaming down the front and back of the house.

Surveyor from the insurance attended yesterday and validated our claim and has begun preparing a scope of works which he will call tomorrow evening to discuss along with next steps. I'm happy enough in theory with the scope of the works but my current questions/issues relate to actually getting the work done.

Prior to the surveyor attending I had a few roofers and heating engineers round to give me quotes and gave these over in the hope it might help things move a bit faster. He seemed happy enough with the boiler quotes but scoffed at even the cheaper of the roof quotes I'd received saying that it was likely we'd have to use the in-house repair network as they wouldn't pay out that much for a new roof. I should add I've since received one final quote which is lower than the others but no verdict on that until tomorrow when the surveyor calls.

I have no problem in theory with using the in-house builders as it would save me having to try and project manage the whole affair and submitting quote after quote for every trade to be quibbled over.

The issue that I have is that upon enquiring about likely timescales I was advised that he wasn't sure but thought that someone in a similar position recently waited about 10 weeks for work to start on site. Is it unreasonable for me to think that 10 weeks with no boiler and no roof save for some soggy chipboard and a tarpaulin is ridiculous, especially with continuing poor weather?

I appreciate the fact that the insurance's in-house builders will be swamped but surely there's a line between them wanting to get the job done at the lowest cost and the potential for further damage to be caused?

The roofers I've had round have all said they could make a start within the next couple of weeks and I can't get a new boiler and flue in until the roof is going on. There are quite a lot of internal works to be completed as well but my main concern is getting watertight and having access to heating and hot water and preventing anything from getting worse.

I've never had to make a claim, never mind one of this scale before so I'm unsure what to expect but the thought of over two months of this or more is unbearable but if they refuse even the cheapest of our roof quotes I don't know what else we can do. If they do approve us for our own roofer and boiler, can we then be cheeky and ask them to take care of the internals to save trying to engage joiners, plasterers, decorators et al. Ourselves? Absolutely any insight or experiences would be much appreciated!

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Speak to them about alternative accommodation whilst you have no hot water or heating
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Do as DullGreyGuy and remind them the tarpaulin is unlikely to keep your home rain-tight but you could get one of your roofers in quickly, before any further internal damage. Have the insurers suggest which quote to use, avoiding more arguements later. See if all that will budge them. So annoying!
  • KatieMoo
    KatieMoo Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The tarpaulin has started pulling away in places with the continued poor weather and with another yellow wind warning due for tomorrow I rang the external company the claim has been handed over to by my insurer and got told someone would get back to me in two working days despite my protests that the tarp isn't going to last another two working days without repair. The insurer can't help because the external company haven't submitted the report validating the claim so we still can't access alternative accommodation. I feel like I'm banging my head off a wall but have managed to get a roofer to resecure the tarpaulin this afternoon and will just have to add it to the claim and hope that it will stay put through this next round of vile weather
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good for you! Shame on insurers! Make 'em pay your costs for "mitigating your loss".
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback