DIY Probate

2»

Comments

• Olinda99
    Olinda99 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    the other thing that gets lost when parents die is family history memories so if you are at all interested in family tree or think your children may be then try and get information that you need from your father what is you still can eg memories, names of parents and grandparents etc
  • SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,368 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 January at 10:09AM
    Savvy_Sue said:
    The only thing I remember having to do with my co-executor in person was opening a joint bank account for the estate. We did that near the deceased, which was between us. After that, I dealt with branch near me when needed. Or more often, online.

For the OP's benefit, there is no compulsion to open a joint account, or indeed any account, for the estate. I was joint executor with my sister when my mum died, and we agreed on a division of labour, she'd deal with clearing the house (as she lived nearby) and I would deal with paperwork and finances (as I'm better at that than her and live an hour away). I used one of my existing accounts that I wasn't at that time actively using for my own transactions and provided my sister with copies of statements each month until the estate was wound up. The only financial issue that she had to be involved in was authorising the solicitor we used to sell mum's house to pay the balance into an account in my name only.

• I don't know anything about equity release, but I recently applied for probate successfully for my mothers estate, approximately £140,000, most of which was tied up in her house.
    My oldest sister was an executor along with myself.
    I did all the work online for the probate, then once completed an email goes to the other executor, which they approve online.
    To get the original will (which you have to send off, not a copy), I had to email the solicitor who had it, stating that I consented to my sister (other executor) to act on my behalf and collect the will.
    Probate was approved recently.
    So there would be no issue in you and your brother meeting up to obtain probate.
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I agree with Xzavier Walnut above. I am one of three executors, each living about 100m miles apart from the other two. One has reserved powers. The other has not, and received an email from the Probate Office and approved but is happy for me to do everything.  I run every decision past him. Most companies have been happy with scanned copies of documents - death certificate, Grant of Probate, ID etc. I understand we may need to get together at some point re property, but so far so good.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback