Selling 30 items a year on Vinted

13»

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,138 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat said:
    RFW said:

It appears the appalling reporting around it means people are scared about different things and need slightly different explanations each time to allay their specific fears so a copy and paste response may not do the job anyway!

And yes a lot of it certainly is designed to cause confusion, alarm, anything to get clicks and comments (because engagement = money).  We see it time and again with benefits, with utilities - even the BBC can't be trusted to report accurately any more. 

Thinking again about the Cosmopolitan article though … that's got to be AI, a human can't have written that and thought it was good enough to submit, surely?  EDIT: I was so wrong 
    "Jennifer Savin
    FEATURES EDITOR
     Jennifer Savin is Cosmopolitan UK's multiple award-winning Features Editor, who was crowned Digital Journalist of the Year for her work tackling the issues most important to young women."  Full bio here - she even consults on documentaries! https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/author/12606/jennifer-savin/
    I have been using some AI lately and most of the AI around can write a better article. Those kind of articles are easier for them to write without doing much checking as there's no one who would sue.

I've been reading some eBay listings recently that are clearly AI - and a load of useless tosh.
    This for example:

This large antique silver brooch boasts an ornate design and features a beautiful oval-shaped green Chrysoprase gemstone at its center. The gemstone is set in sterling silver and the brooch measures 50mm in length, making it a statement piece of jewellery that is perfect for adding a touch of vintage charm to any outfit.

Crafted in the art deco era, this brooch is an exquisite example of antique jewellery. The oval shape of the Chrysoprase gemstone adds to its beauty, while the intricate silver detailing enhances its overall appeal. This antique brooch is a must-have for any vintage jewellery collector.stamped for silver 

Does this flowery, fawning verbosity make me want to buy this brooch?
    Hell, no!
    I'm not interested that it's a 'statement piece' or is an 'exquisite example'.

I want to know about the hallmarks.
    I want to know about the clasp - is it rollover or 'C' shaped?
    Does it work well?
    Is the stone unmarked?

etc etc

I completely agree. I am interested in size, condition etc, I can decide myself if it is a flattering or a  statement item. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Rantband
    Rantband Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Should we not try and stay on topic ?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Rantband said:
    Should we not try and stay on topic ?
    Maybe let the board ambassador (who is contributing to this thread) decide if the thread has gone too far off-topic...

Do you have any comments on the topic of this thread?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,138 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January at 11:20AM
    I can either ask the forum team that the off topic posts be moved to their own thread, or just suggest we go back to the original question in future. Although there are several threads running with various questions about the new reporting rules.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    soolin said:
    I can either ask the forum team that the off topic posts be moved to their own thread, or just suggest we go back to the original question in future. Although there are several threads running with various questions about the new reporting rules.
    Whatever sits best with you in your role as board ambassador.

However, if I had posted the link to Cosmopolitan plus a wodge of text extracted from that article, I would remove it.
    It has garnered censure for the way the article was written and created discussion that - imho - detracts from the original post.

Surely the link to the MSE article and/or to gov.uk is sufficient without muddying already muddy waters by posting a poorly written article from a magazine that thinks they know what they are talking about and that has generated several posts to discuss that article and the author...

AI was mentioned as a potential source of the Cosmo article.
    I merely continued with a comment about AI being used in eBay descriptions (the subject of this board).

I disagree that my comments regarding AI within eBay were - to quote MSE ruled - disruptive or intended to derail from the topic.

Here are the links to the MSE article and HMRC:
    eBay, Etsy, Vinted and more to share your data with HMRC (moneysavingexpert.com)

Selling online and paying taxes - information sheet - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,382 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would venture that in the context, discussion which helps people's media literacy would be useful and ultimately help to save people stress - and potentially money - but if TPTB think the posts should be moved or removed, fair enough.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback