Dla apointee

Going through separation from partner and Going to move out to live somewhere else soon. I am currently the apointee for my 14 year old sons DLA claim I get the payments into my account. The child will be staying with partner not me.

Will DWP still allow me to be the appointee for my son when I am not living at the same address?

Also will DWP still allow me to carry on being the appointee for my son but change the bank details for the  money into my partners account?

The reason for this is that partners English speaking is not very good and I am thinking of the future and when he transfers to PIP in a years time.

Thanks

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,289
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 8:54PM
    You don’t have to be living with the person to be their appointee; you can continue in the role.
    I think you might struggle with having the money paid directly into your partners account although  I’m not 100% sure on that. 

But it would be just as straightforwards for you to transfer the money over to him as soon as it hits your account - you could set up a standing order for the purpose – and it will also make it easier for you to spot any discrepancies for any reason if DWP make a mistake. 

Depending on how your partner is with money, you might also want to keep some back for the big ticket expenses like holidays, play stations  et cetera (depending on your child’s needs and interests.) because it would still be your responsibility to monitor savings and make sure money was been spent in his best interests. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • pope
    pope Posts: 197
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    You don’t have to be living with the person to be their appointee; you can continue in the role.
    I think you might struggle with having the money paid directly into your partners account although  I’m not 100% sure on that. 

But it would be just as straightforwards for you to transfer the money over to him as soon as it hits your account - you could set up a standing order for the purpose – and it will also make it easier for you to spot any discrepancies for any reason if DWP make a mistake. 

Depending on how your partner is with money, you might also want to keep some back for the big ticket expenses like holidays, play stations  et cetera (depending on your child’s needs and interests.) because it would still be your responsibility to monitor savings and make sure money was been spent in his best interests. 
    Us splitting up will also trigger a UC claim will they have a issue with this arrangement?

• pope
    Forumite
    Are there any other people on this board who can advise if I can still remain the appointee but the payment goes int my partners account who the child is living with?

Thank you
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,729
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I don't know the answer to that but why can't you just change the appointee to the mother?
  • toomuchinfo
    toomuchinfo Posts: 176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think the money can only be paid into an account in the name of the appointee only. I’m appointee for my son and had to open an account in my sole name because my account was joint with my husband and it couldn’t be used for appointee.
  • pope
    Forumite
    I don't know the answer to that but why can't you just change the appointee to the mother?
    The reason for this is that partners English speaking is not very good and I am thinking of the future and when my child trransfers from DLA to PIP in a years time. 
  • elsien
    Forumite
    Can you not just help them to fill the forms in as and when it happens?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• pope
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    Can you not just help them to fill the forms in as and when it happens?
    Yes I could help with the forms. But I am thinking when the child has a PIP assessment he can't talk for his self over the phone or face to face because of Special needs. If partner is appointee how is she going to help.
  • elsien
    Forumite
    edited 26 January at 9:45AM
    She can ask for an interpreter if English is not her first language. Or if she has a friend (or yourself) who can interpret for her that is ok as long as they are over 16. 

• pope
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    She can ask for an interpreter if English is not her first language. Or if she has a friend (or yourself) who can interpret for her that is ok as long as they are over 16. 
    Do you think DWP pip will be OK with this? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback