We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Euro Disney

Options
Hi - me and my partner want to go to Disney Paris. I said yes thinking it might be a few hundred pounds each for train from Birmingham to London, eurostar, hotel and park tickets. I'm now horrified once I've started looking at package holidays that it could cost as much as £1k each for 3 nights, not in a disney hotel (staying just outside in Val d'Europe region).

Are there cheaper alternatives out there? Or have I vastly underestimated how much going to see Mickey Mouse is going to cost? 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Perhaps worth spending time over on this forum to get ideas about how to do it on the (relative!) cheap?

Disneyland Paris Trip Planning - theDIBB
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi - me and my partner want to go to Disney Paris. I said yes thinking it might be a few hundred pounds each for train from Birmingham to London, eurostar, hotel and park tickets. I'm now horrified once I've started looking at package holidays that it could cost as much as £1k each for 3 nights, not in a disney hotel (staying just outside in Val d'Europe region).

Are there cheaper alternatives out there? Or have I vastly underestimated how much going to see Mickey Mouse is going to cost? 
    With the train tickets it may depend on when you want to go, and how far in advance you book the tickets.

You also should bear in mind that the Olympics is in Paris this year (and other parts of France) which may be pushing demand/prices up if you're looking to go to Disneyland this summer.
  • MSE_James
    MSE_James Posts: 1,242 Community Admin
    First Post First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    Options
    It's a few years old but our Paris on a Budget guide may be worth a look
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Langerhan
    Langerhan Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, it's going to be expensive for three nights, especially as you've just missed the off-season. I had a look for next January and the cheapest official Disney hotel available was for £570 (although that does include two-park tickets for the both of you every day). Just the tickets for three days for the two of you would cost £372, while staying at the Ibis in Val d'Europe would be £220, meaning it would actually be cheaper to book the Disney hotel.

Looking at transport, the cheapest Eurostar is £78 return, so £156 for the both of you. The train from the middle of Paris to Disneyland is £10 return, so £196 return for the train tickets total from London to Disneyland (I couldn't find the prices from Birmingham to London).

This is a very rough estimate, but if you were to go next January and book everything yourselves, you could do the holiday for £766, not including food or travel to London. It's still not cheap but it's much cheaper than going through a package company.
    Mortgage start date: 01/10/2021
    Original mortgage debt:
    £128,000
    Remaining debt (01/05/2024):
    £95,505
    Daily interest: £3.21
    Mortgage debt end of 2023: £101,528
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Euro Disney is always going to be an expensive  gig - even when you find less costly options.
  • CaptainWales
    CaptainWales Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all - going to have to raid the piggy bank more than I thought then!! 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    easyJet now fly Birmingham to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Ryanair are starting to Paris Beauvais (which is some distance away so would need research).

Not sure when you're planning on going but both airlines have pretty good fares available for the rest of the year so it may be comparable/cheaper/more convenient than Eurostar.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a regular direct bus service from CDG Paris to Disney.
    Not sure what is on offer from Beauvais.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure