House Deeds Question

Hi,
My Mum died 18 months ago and sadly my Dad has just been given a month to live.
Initially, we got an estate agent round to see about selling his house as he was having to go into a nursing home.
When Mum died, Dad ( although pretty savvy with documents) didn’t take her off the deeds.
Obviously the house will need to be sold in the next few months, so is it advisable to get Mum taken off now or wait until Dad dies and both can be taken off?
Sorry but I’m not very ‘clued up’ on this situation and would appreciate any help.
Many thanks

Comments

• Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,456
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 11:25PM
    It can be done when you're selling the property, you need the Death Certificate for Mum.  It is unlikely that the property will be sold and completed before dad passes, so you will have to apply for probate and receive the Grant before completing on the house sale.

Do you know if the property was held as Joint Tenants or Tenants in Common?
  • woodyt
    woodyt Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you Tiglet2.
    Yes they were Joint Tenants.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,139
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    No need to change anything on the LR, it can simply be transferred to the new owners when it is eventually sold. I would also not attempt to try and sell at this time. Even if you have a LPA in place for your father any attempted sale will fail as soon as he dies as you will then need probate before you can proceed which may take 6 months or more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback