Is Freeview down for you? My tv says no signal

lr1277
lr1277 Posts: 1,614
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
My tv has not received a Freeview signal since yesterday evening. I am wondering if anybody else is having the same problem.
I checked downdetector and it is showing reports of some problems in the last 24 hours. I checked the comments and the most recent one was from December.
I live in a block of flats and every few months for some of the channels, the picture is pixelated to the point it is unwatchable. I suspect but have no actual evidence that windy weather moves the aerial and the problem is only fixed when the aerial is corrected.
And the last few days have been windy.
Another possibility is my tv is 15 years old so may be having some problems.
So is Freeview working for you? And if it is, any thoughts on solutions to my problem?
TIA

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,256
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 11:26PM
    I’ve got BBC, but just this evening I’ve lost most of the other channels. I’m fairly sure it’s not my aerial or TV because it was working an hour ago, there’s nothing showing on the problem detector as yet. Obviously depends what area you’re in and what transmitter you’re on but at the moment I’m minded to think for me, it’s an external problem, not a my TV/area problem.

In your situation though, wind moving in the area does seem like a reasonable possibility.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,001
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Some of my channels are pixelated, sometimes happens with the atmosphere, high / low pressure, sunspots etc
    I switch to the live feeds with BB
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    A neighbour had an issue with reception the other day.  Was an issue with the coax cable from wall -> TV.  Unusual to see a faulty coax cable. Conclusion. Try a different coax cable.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • lr1277
    Forumite
    Thanks for your replies so far. Based on the reply from @elsien I emailed my building manager and am awaiting a response.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,084
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Check if there are known transmitter problems here
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/problems-freeview-reception/#/Freeview

The storms are causing issues.  I don't believe that the weather is conducive for enhanced propagation (that's steady high pressure typically).

Communal aerial systems: ask neighbours first?

Often worth checking cables and connections.  But NEVER, EVER retune when something like this happens.  It just makes fault finding more difficult.

PS no use asking if you don't state the transmitter watched or the location (suburb/village name).  There's some 1050+ UHF TV transmitter sites around these islands (more if one includes those for RTE etc.,.).

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,243
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    We lost all channels for a few minutes during the first storm, a few days ago, but they all came back on quickly.
  • lr1277
    Forumite
    TELLIT01 said:
    We lost all channels for a few minutes during the first storm, a few days ago, but they all came back on quickly.
    I didn’t have a signal on Tuesday night nor Wednesday night. Didn’t bother trying Thursday.

@Rodders53 I will give your suggestion a try. Thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback