A few questions in relation to my employment at a relatively new business (Compensation/Holidays)

Hi all,

So I work for a new Business (3 years old Ish). For the owner this is his first Company *Context*

I am employed as a Transport Coordinator (Official title) and have been for around a year.

I am Paid £11p/h as a fixed rate regardless of hours worked.

Questions;

1. I want to approach the owner about a pay increase.

2. Should I get holiday compensation equivalent to average hours worked?

3. I do not have a formal employment contract

further info:

So essentially my role comprises of Driving a van most working days. along with that I also do route planning for other vehicles on the road. I complete basic upkeep and maintenance of the vehicles (Body work repairs, Break pad/disk replacement, other minor mechanical/electrical work, cleaning inside and out) I have a Degree in Aviation Maintenance so know exactly what I am doing.

I also take care of all internal IT issues through previously earned qualifications/Skills in other employment and oversee the upkeep and repair of all of our electrical equipment (TV's, Lighting Equipment, Sound Equipment) using my electrical fault-finding and repair skills (soldering, component replacement)

Initially when I started the position the vast majority more technical jobs I do were not discussed in my role so I see myself as doing a lot over and above and can demonstrate saving the business thousands, if not tens of thousands in my time so far.

I have been trained by the company on a forklift and am about to commence HGV Class 2 training all paid for by the company. (Around £3000 total training costs)

I have a colleague who is paid £15 an hour for doing basic graphic design work along side driving with none of my other responsibilities. When not doing graphic design they are paid the same as me.

The Company plans to take on a full time operations assistant the position is advertised at £30k with no overtime available. this position will essentially be a paperwork admin for the boss.

in the last week alone I have done the following on top of normal duties;

pads and disks replaced on LWB van

two tires purchased and replaced on same van

fibreglass roof repair on another van

wiring loom for trailer replaced due to electrical burn out

rear light unit replaced on trailer

stalk light replaced on trailer

paint touched up on van

strapping rails re-attached to van internal structure

all vehicles cleaned inside and out

new wooden panel cut and replaced on van internals

headlight bulbs changed

oil change on single van

replaced a door slow close mechanism

do you think regular use of these skills warrants requesting pay increase on my part?

Also once I obtain the HGV2 licence I will be limited my law on duty time so also stand to loose money there too.

I do a lot of overtime averaging 60+ hour weeks from very early in my employment.

when on holiday I am paid for 40 hour weeks which means I do not want to take holidays as I end up much worse off financially for doing so.

Thank you for taking the time to read this!!

TLDR; I work as hard as I can and always complete my work to a high standard, id like more money for my skills and time.

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,832
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Protonkit said:
    1. I want to approach the owner about a pay increase.

2. Should I get holiday compensation equivalent to average hours worked?

3. I do not have a formal employment contract.

1. Assuming you are over 21, you'll get a small payrise regardless in April because NMW / Living Wage increases at that point to £11.44 ph. I presume you'd like more than that. You could certainly make a good argument for your multi-skilled role. In your position I'd try to 'benchmark': eg if you can find a local garage advertising for a mechanic paying more than you're earning, get a copy of the advert. I don't know if you'd find a 'route planner' kind of job, but nothing to stop you looking. Forklift drivers: again look for warehouse jobs where that's required. It's possible though that your boss will only want to pay NMW for your driving hours, and may not want the hassle of calculating different kinds of hours for you as well as the other guy. 

2. Yes. Here's a link. Are you paid a variable amount depending on how many hours you've worked? Note that there's no requirement to pay a higher hourly rate for 'overtime' / weekends / evenings. 

3. You should have one, but there's no remedy if you don't. Here's another link: you could point your employer to this. Or you could wait for the Operations Assistant to start: it may well be that the boss realises he's not on top of the admin, and the new person would be able to make more headway with that kind of thing. 

Having said all that, if you want more money and he doesn't want to pay it, you'll have to look elsewhere. I've done a very rough calculation: you'd be looking at jobs paying more than £35k to match your 60 hours pw at the new NMW. 

Also bear in mind that at the moment, you have very limited employment protection (because you haven't yet been there for two years). That's another reason for letting the new person make the waves - they won't have a lot of protection either but their job may well include making sure all the employment paperwork is sorted! 

Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Thank you both for taking the time to reply! 

@Savvy_Sue That link for question 2 is amazing and exactly what I am looking for. Do you think I would have any grounds to request that this gets back dated as at any point in the past when I have taken holidays my average number hours of work vs the 40 I received was much higher? 

@Tucosalamanca I am located in Edinburgh, would you care to take a guess at a reasonable expectation on my part? In my own mind I was in the region of between £12.50 and £13.50 per hour (Starting high and leaving room to negotiate so we can both come out happy). Also thank you for the kind words :smile:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,832
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Protonkit said:
    Thank you both for taking the time to reply! 

@Savvy_Sue That link for question 2 is amazing and exactly what I am looking for. Do you think I would have any grounds to request that this gets back dated as at any point in the past when I have taken holidays my average number hours of work vs the 40 I received was much higher? 

@Tucosalamanca I am located in Edinburgh, would you care to take a guess at a reasonable expectation on my part? In my own mind I was in the region of between £12.50 and £13.50 per hour (Starting high and leaving room to negotiate so we can both come out happy). Also thank you for the kind words :smile:
    You may be able to ask for this to be backdated, but I think if you have a good read of the link you may find a date on which a ruling was made. You wouldn't be able to go back before that. Also bear in mind that the more you ask for, the more 'difficult' you may appear to be. If you have a sensible boss, it's less of a problem, but if they take the view that they'd easily be able to replace you at your current salary ... well, need I spell it out? 

I can't see a reply from Tucosalamanca, but mine would be that you can see the jobs advertised in Edinburgh easier than we can. 

I guess also worth pointing out that your training has cost money. That gives an argument for the boss wanting to retain you (and is there any agreement in place for repaying those fees if you leave within a certain period?), but it could be argued that that training is part of your package: it has a value! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,288
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Protonkit said:

Initially when I started the position the vast majority more technical jobs I do were not discussed in my role so I see myself as doing a lot over and above and can demonstrate saving the business thousands, if not tens of thousands in my time so far.

I have been trained by the company on a forklift and am about to commence HGV Class 2 training all paid for by the company. (Around £3000 total training costs)

Purely as an observation. The cost to the company isn't just the financial cost of the courses but the non productive time you spend undertaking them. Seems that you are a valued employee. Though you might not feel that you are. Raise and approach the issue of a payrise diplomatically.  Your employer is unlikely to wish to see you walk out the door. 
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 454
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure what happened to my post, I basically said that OP sounds like a valuable employee, he's multi-skilled and that's very desirable to an employer.

As to wages. I visit Scotland perhaps once a year.
    Something very noticeable is how much service industries are willing to pay staff.
    When 18yr olds can earn approaching £11ph working in McDonald's, OP is surely worth more.
    £15ph is still under £30,000 per year, based on 37.5hr week

Based on what he's doing, I don't think that's an unrealistic salary.
    My semi-skilled (construction) workers are earning this kind of money (before overtime), the skilled operatives are earning closer to £35k before overtime. They also get good benefits, company van, tools paid for, workwear paid for, phone paid, training paid and so on.
    It's a competitive market place and I know that they could earn more elsewhere.
    £50k salaries are not unusual for those willing to put in the hours.
    We're based in the South West, it's expensive to exist here but is Edinburgh any cheaper?
    Certainly in my area, OP could find well paid employment within days, if not hours.
    Employers are desperate for people like him.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback