Starling Bank

Evening, 

Does anybody know if I can just open a Startling Bank account and not have to transfer my other personal bank account across, I want to put funds in it but not pay direct debits etc... from it.

thanks
sam
Sam B

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,817
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, opening an account isn't contingent on switching one.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,946
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, you should be able to, but you wouldn't get any switch bonus if they offer it, as you're not switching.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,614
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yes, thats exactly what I did as I initially used it as a second account until it proved itself to be worth being my main account.

Don't believe they have switch bonuses. If you know someone who does use them then they can refer you and you both get a National Trust day pass.
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,022
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My Starling account is just a secondary account.  I've never had any direct debits, or standing orders on it. 
  • s_r
    s_r Posts: 42
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Same for me too. My Starling is just an account that is secondary to main one and there are no direct debits on it. Neither does my salary go into it.
  • Superhoopza
    Superhoopza Posts: 380
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    samuela66 said:
    Evening, 

Does anybody know if I can just open a Startling Bank account and not have to transfer my other personal bank account across, I want to put funds in it but not pay direct debits etc... from it.

thanks
    sam
    Yes I opened one last week and have transferred a tiny amount into it.
  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 1,338
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Like any other current account you can just open it and use it however you like.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,580
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Starling started out just for use abroad. Was so impressed by them they're now my main account 
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,281
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    I opened one to use overseas as they don't charge foreign transaction fees and now it is our main account. For the first six months though we had no direct debits or anything coming out of it. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Link to soa: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

#1 1p savings challenge 2024 £78.75/£671.61
    #1 Save £12k in 2024 £2000/ £12000
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family