Energy Meter not Smart Meter

2»

Comments

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I really shouldn't watch that as I know I'll spend the whole time shouting at the TV :smiley:
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    EssexHebridean said: There were things like the Owl monitors - with a clip that you attach to the cable from the meter which allowed you to monitor use
    The problem with a lot of those energy meters that just have a widget to clip over one of the meter tails is that they only measure current. Without knowing what the voltage is, it can not give a true reading for power.
    There are energy meters that can be fitted inside the consumer unit which give true power - I have used one briefly, but the display is difficult to read, and it failed to register low powered devices (<10W as I recall). Currently using a few Peacefair PZEM-016 modules hooked up to a dedicated computer to take the readings. There are other versions that come with a display if that is important to you.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Channel 5 have a programme about smart meters next week.

Smart Meters: Should You Get One? | Radio Times

Summary

Alexis Conran uncovers the truth behind the promised benefits of smart energy meters, investigating their mental health impact, whether data gathered is being monetised and hearing horror stories of wildly inaccurate bills and invasions of privacy. Do smart meters live up to the claims made for them, or should consumers listen to the alarming tales that are coming to light?

Should be fun :)
    Wow, sounds like it'll be a thoroughly researched, completely impartial, objective documentary, just the kind of journalism we've all been waiting for … !!!
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,023 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Channel 5 have a programme about smart meters next week.

Smart Meters: Should You Get One? | Radio Times

Summary

Alexis Conran uncovers the truth behind the promised benefits of smart energy meters, investigating their mental health impact, whether data gathered is being monetised and hearing horror stories of wildly inaccurate bills and invasions of privacy. Do smart meters live up to the claims made for them, or should consumers listen to the alarming tales that are coming to light?

Should be fun :)
    Wow, sounds like it'll be a thoroughly researched, completely impartial, objective documentary, just the kind of journalism we've all been waiting for … !!!
    One step up from 'My smart meter ate my hamster'!
  • GoldenOldy
    GoldenOldy Posts: 169 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good Afternoon. I am happy to report I have purchased a monitor , and although probably not totally accurate, it is providing me with decent enough information.
    I have also recorded the television programme mentioned and look forward to watching it.

Thankyou all, as usual , for your time, trouble and advice.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Thank you too for coming back to your thread to let us know. Surprisingly few people do!
    I hope your monitor gives you years of trouble free service. If you have any problems, there are still a few of us using them and we'll be happy to try to help
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 February at 6:42PM
    Good Afternoon. I am happy to report I have purchased a monitor , and although probably not totally accurate, it is providing me with decent enough information.
    I have also recorded the television programme mentioned and look forward to watching it.

Thankyou all, as usual , for your time, trouble and advice.
    My old faithful Eon monitor showed I used 225 kWh for the past 30 days.  I have done my meter reads and my actual consumption for 31 days was 234 kWh. 225/30 = 7.5, 234/31 =7.55 so not bad :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback