Life insurance

My farther died last year, his life insurance was left to my mother who died 15 years ago, does the insurance now form part of his estate or does it go according to her will if there wasn’t a named contingent beneficiary 

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,807
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Was there anything in dad's will to say what was to happen to the the money if mother predeceased him. 
    If not I am presuming that it will form part of his estate as mother never actually inherited it. 
    I am happy to be corrected 

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • destroyer1979
    destroyer1979 Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Nothing specifically relating to the insurance, in his will everything has been left to his partner, in mums will it was all left to my farther, if that failed it was to me next. 
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,122
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Unless the policy was written in trust, which is unlikely it forms part of his estate 
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,830
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It would be worth asking the insurance company whether they will pay the money to your dad's estate. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • destroyer1979
    destroyer1979 Posts: 11
    Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Unless the policy was written in trust, which is unlikely it forms part of his estate 
    I have just spoken to the insurance company, they said it had been left in trust, does this mean it will form part of my mothers estate? They couldn’t confirm on the phone but said I will get a letter. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback