Long term sick help

I had a stroke 12months ago and have been paid from work while sick. Last week I had a call from HR that my pay would stop this month.as its 12 month the beginning of Feb since it happened and they are arranging occupational health to assess me on capability. I Just received my play sip and I have been paid zero. Can they do this with no warning, there was nothing in writing and I have not received an SSP1. I am paid the 25th of each month so surely they should have informed me before now

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,344
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Yes generally your manager should have been keeping in touch with you regularly to monitor your progress and likelihood to return to work.  And warn you about any crucial time frames.  That said I know some HR/managers will simply say "it's in your contract" assuming that you have your contract available to read up on these sorts of things.  

Have you talked to your manager about this???
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • stroke50
    stroke50 Posts: 5
    First Post
    I have had no contact from HR until a call in November, and then last week to say payment was stopping, I assumed I would still get pay this month and then it would stop, my manager has just made odd calls to see how I am, nothing official or business updates. I myself am an operations manager and have been employed with them since 1999
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,404
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    stroke50 said:
    I have had no contact from HR until a call in November, and then last week to say payment was stopping, I assumed I would still get pay this month and then it would stop, my manager has just made odd calls to see how I am, nothing official or business updates. I myself am an operations manager and have been employed with them since 1999
    Whilst they should have stayed in touch, as an Operations Manager you should be fully versed in the sickness policy and the HR department probably expected you to know when the 12 months are up.

Can't see why they have to notify you when it's already in the policy but it would have been courteous to do so.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,514
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So when was your first month on Sick pay,  January or February 2023?
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • stroke50
    First Post
    My first month was February, surely I should have been fore warned and sent the ssp1 form
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,024
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    stroke50 said:
    My first month was February, surely I should have been fore warned and sent the ssp1 form
    Are you sure you weren't sent the SSP1 form months ago and possibly were just too ill to deal with it? See https://www.gov.uk/employers-sick-pay/eligibility-and-form-ssp1
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • stroke50
    First Post
    No, Hr told me last week they would get it sent over to me but it's not yet been received, I don't even know the date they stopped to start a claim for esa
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,757
    Forumite
    If you worked in January 2023 but became unfit for your employment on 1 February, I would have expected to a 12-month company sick pay to be payable up to the end of January.

Is it contractually 11 months, one year or paid at the company's discretion?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,826
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You won't have been receiving SSP for more than 28 weeks - did that show on your payslip initially? You should have had the SSP1 at that stage. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,817
    Forumite
    stroke50 said:
    I had a stroke 12months ago and have been paid from work while sick. Last week I had a call from HR that my pay would stop this month.as its 12 month the beginning of Feb since it happened and they are arranging occupational health to assess me on capability. I Just received my play sip and I have been paid zero. Can they do this with no warning, there was nothing in writing and I have not received an SSP1. I am paid the 25th of each month so surely they should have informed me before now
    Assuming your sick pay has stopped in accordance with your contract / employee handbook then you have been warned about what would happen!

Obviously if their calculations are wrong and it was stopped too soon that is another matter.

A year on full pay is a very generous sick pay provision these days, far better than most people enjoy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback