Smile direct

CharleneH
CharleneH Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 24 January at 8:46AM in Consumer rights
I brought aligners from Smile direct at the end of November, of which I’ve not received, I opted for the interest free credit option, Smile direct use a company called Tabeo for there finance applications.

Once I realised smile direct have filed bankruptcy I contacted my bank advised them of the situation and they are now investigating the situation however while they are investigating the bank gave me my money back, since then Tabeo have tried numerous times to take the money from my account luckily it’s not my main bank account so there isn’t enough funds in the account for them to take the fund.

I have contacted both Smile Direct & Tabeo and unfortunately neither have been helpful at all & Tabeo continue to send me emails & text messages saying that if I don’t make payments it’s going to affect my credit rating. 

I’m not sure what to do moving forward?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,367
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you initiated a chargeback which is likely what happened here, the bank simply takes the money back from the seller. However, as you have seen, if the seller disputes this (as they are allowed to) they will simply (attempt to) take the money back as you have a contract with them, and the firm going bankrupt, while unfortunate, doesn't automatically cancel that as the money potentially belongs to the administrators to distribute to creditors (and end users tend to be low down the list). You may well find they initiate proceedings to get the money back potentially going to court for a CCJ if you don't repay. Are there any customer forums / groups who are in the same boat and have any advice?

If you paid by credit card and the cost meets the S75 criteria, you may need to take that route
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,637
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Nasqueron said:
    If you initiated a chargeback which is likely what happened here, the bank simply takes the money back from the seller. However, as you have seen, if the seller disputes this (as they are allowed to) they will simply (attempt to) take the money back as you have a contract with them, and the firm going bankrupt, while unfortunate, doesn't automatically cancel that as the money potentially belongs to the administrators to distribute to creditors (and end users tend to be low down the list). You may well find they initiate proceedings to get the money back potentially going to court for a CCJ if you don't repay. Are there any customer forums / groups who are in the same boat and have any advice?

If you paid by credit card and the cost meets the S75 criteria, you may need to take that route
     I opted for the interest free credit option, Smile direct use a company called Tabeo for there finance applications.
  • Mum12
    Mum12 Posts: 1
    First Post
    I'm facing the same with Tabeo. I've cancelled my direct debit but few days ago they managed to take the money direct from my debit account. I contacted my bank and they refunded the money but started a dispute. My bank advised a get a new card, which is on it's way, but this morning Tabeo was at it again trying to take another money. I got an alert from my bank to confirm if I was making the transaction and I said No...bank is trying to block the transaction but not sure if they can. 
        I'm really worried how long they will keep trying to take money this way from my account as having a new card did not seem to help. Treatment has not been completed, yet they want us to keep making payment. It seems no one can help us as well. Too bad
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,655
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mum12 said:
    I'm facing the same with Tabeo. I've cancelled my direct debit but few days ago they managed to take the money direct from my debit account. I contacted my bank and they refunded the money but started a dispute. My bank advised a get a new card, which is on it's way, but this morning Tabeo was at it again trying to take another money. I got an alert from my bank to confirm if I was making the transaction and I said No...bank is trying to block the transaction but not sure if they can. 
        I'm really worried how long they will keep trying to take money this way from my account as having a new card did not seem to help. Treatment has not been completed, yet they want us to keep making payment. It seems no one can help us as well. Too bad
    Did you give them your card details as well?

If you did then bank need to block the updating of card details on Visa/Mastercard system.

No idea why they said to stop card, as that will make no difference.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure