Neighbour neglect and subsequent damage - Take a cash settlement or not?

I own a semi-detached home, the adjoinng neighbour is an estranged wife who's husband is the registered owner.  He is nowhere to be seen/found (legal advice has been sought to try and find details with no result).  

The occupier knowingly let a significant water leak go on for months to the point of it causing rising damp to my home, warped flooring, wet and mouldy walls and some contents damage. They are hoarding, so I also have an ongoing rat infestation unable to be resolved, as they are not interested to resolve this.

Water supply to the neighbours house has now been turned off in the street, by the council, with occupier consent. They choose to live with no running water and not carry out pipe repairs. Damage to my house now not ongoing. 

My insurer will not repair the damages until they have written proof of repair works at the neighbours house. This may never happen.   Insurer has offered a cash settlement but said if they turned the water on and it happened again, I would not be covered. 

What to do?  Take the cash settlement? 

I am in touch with the council environmental health and local MP's office, along with social services, to try and get help, but after 6 months, no progress. Police service no help as not meeting threshold.  Citizens Advice no help as no abuse taking place. 

Comments

• rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you have legal cover on your home insurance?
  • EG12345
    EG12345 Posts: 3
    First Post
    I do yes. 
  • EG12345
    EG12345 Posts: 3
    First Post
    Sorry ignore that, no I don’t have legal
    Cover 
  • rigolith
    rigolith Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hmm, well you should start by making a complaint to your insurer, and then escalate to the ombudsman.
  • Annemos
    Annemos Posts: 703
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I seem to remember cases where a Neighbour absolutely refuses to cut down a damaging tree. Issue dragging on for ages. The Insurance company for the damaged home, has to ensure any repairs are lasting and effective. And so the Insurance Company was made to do an underpinning. 

Like rigolith, I also feel there might be something wrong with what the Insurance Company is trying to impose on you. For something that is out of your control. 

EG12345.   Do a search on Ombudsman's cases. Do a search on Insurance cases: "Escape of Water caused by Neighbour".      And other relevant word combinations. 

See if you can find any cases where this scenario has happened. 

I am very sorry this is happening to you. 

https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/decisions-case-studies/ombudsman-decisions
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback