Long mini HDMI cable?

B0bbyEwing
B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 24 January at 8:56AM in Techie Stuff
What's the longest HDMI to mini HDMI cable you can get (& will the image still display perfectly fine on a monitor with it or will it deteriorate in some way over greater distances)? 

I'm not home to check but I'm pretty sure my graphics card has a mini HDMI port (unless there's such a thing as a micro as well, then I'd have to find out). My monitor is standard HDMI connection. 

For what I want to do I need quite a long cable. I'm not sure how long yet until I get home & measure but I'd say certainly 5 metres, maybe 8 metres. 

Comments

• bob_a_builder
    bob_a_builder Posts: 2,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 22 January at 1:37PM
    Ebay lists them up to 10M
    "
  • B0bbyEwing
    B0bbyEwing Posts: 1,177
    Forumite
    I'll have to measure but I think 10mtr should do it hopefully. I was only finding the usual 0.5-2.0mtr ones when I was searching but I'm on my phone at work & hate doing any kind of searching on a mobile. Much prefer a PC.
    Thanks
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 518
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Plenty of options at that length as it's not overly long 

Just buy a reasonably priced one (about £10-£15) as you won't notice any difference between an expensive one and cheap one 
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,144
    Forumite
    The HDMI standard supports up to 15m at 1080p with the right cable and 5m at 4K.

That not to say longer won't work but as the length increases you'll need increasingly better cables or the signal will degrade. 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,643
    Forumite
    PHK said:

That not to say longer won't work but as the length increases you'll need increasingly better cables or the signal will degrade. 
    Its a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't. There isn't a degrade, thats on analogue signals.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,759
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    400ixl said:
    PHK said:

Its a digital signal, it either works or it doesn't. There isn't a degrade, thats on analogue signals.
    That is incorrect.
    Passive cables max out at around 15 meters at 1080p.
    An optical HDMI cable would extend to around 40 metres
    Fibre optic HDMI cable extends to around 100 metres, but these are expensive and require additional equipment.
    Then there are Ultra High Speed cables that support 2.1a. (These are what's needed to future proof thing if required)
    So Passive or Active? Both have limits.
    Either way the OP should be OK, but the either it works or it doesn't theory is not right.

Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 521
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Mini HDMI is HDMI, it's the same electrically regardless of the physical size of the connector.
    Long mini HDMI cables will likely be expensive just because it's a niche market, so you might be better getting an adaptor and a long regular HDMI cable.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 518
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    RumRat said:
    400ixl said:
    PHK said:

That is incorrect.
    Fibre optic HDMI cable extends to around 100 metres, but these are expensive and require additional equipment.
    Then there are Ultra High Speed cables that support 2.1a. (These are what's needed to future proof thing if required)
    Either way the OP should be OK, but the either it works or it doesn't theory is not right.

You failed to explain why the "theory" of a digital signal is incorrect in that it doesn't degrade its either on or off

Care to enlighten folks so they can increase their knowledge base?
  • PHK
    Forumite
    cerebus said:
    RumRat said:
    400ixl said:
    PHK said:

That is incorrect.

You failed to explain why the "theory" of a digital signal is incorrect in that it doesn't degrade its either on or off

Care to enlighten folks so they can increase their knowledge base?
    Easy, there is a waveform that represents the 1s and 0s. On long runs the cables resistance capacitance and inductance affects the waveforms. Eventually, some of the 1s and 0s will be lost/wrong These  bit errors get to the point that the error correction doesn't work and you get degraded performance. 
  • PHK
    Forumite
    400ixl said:
    PHK said:

Nonsense. Individual bits are either 1 or 0 but the waveforms that represent them get errors over long runs causing the bits to be misread. 
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure