Storm damage in hotel car park

Options
hello, I would like some advice please. In the recent storm, the windshield of my car was damaged by a roof tile. The car was parked at the hotel car park. And the tile was from the hotel roof. 
The hotel said that their insurance does not cover storm damage.
We claimed with our car insurance, however there is a substantial excess to pay because the car needs recovery (cannot be driven) and there will be other associated expenses since the nearest service centre is 90 miles away. 
what is our legal standing in relation to claiming some kind of reimbursement from the hotel? 
Thank you 

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,646 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless they were in some negligent, which would be very difficult to prove, then they are not responsible for the damage. Can’t you gat a mobile windshield replacement company out to fix it?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Excess & recover for a windscreen?

Or was there more damage?

Normally windscreen would be replaced under ins by someone like Autowindscreen coming out.
    Life in the slow lane
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The liability is yours but glass claims aren’t normally a big deal.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January at 3:46PM
    Options
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but recovery to a service center 90 miles away to replace the windscreen is a tad excessive, no?

Most people probably wouldn't even get the insurer involved as replacing a windscreen usually only costs a couple of hundred pounds. I'm sure the hotel might be more open to reimbursing this than your current suggestion of a massive excess, a long distance tow truck journey and an official service center replacement, which could be north of a grand.

I think proving the hotel was negligent in maintaining their roof will be effectively impossible, it's not unlikely the hotel will refuse anything outside of a goodwill gesture in any eventuality.
    Know what you don't
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure