🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tax Free Allowances

Options
2»

Comments

• Middle_of_the_Road
    Options
    taxigeoff said:
    taxigeoff said:
    italydiva said:
    Hello, could someone please advise. If I receive £7k pension as my only income, can my remaining personal allowance be combined with my £6k savings allowance to increase the amount I am able to earn tax free on my savings? 
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    The only allowance you have is the Personal Allowance (either £11,310 or £12,570 depending on whether you have applied for Marriage Allowance).

If your only taxable non savings non dividend income is £7k of pension income then you have the remainder of your Personal Allowance available to use against any interest (or dividends).

Once that has been used up the next £5,000 will be taxed at 0% (savings starter rate band).

And only once that has been used can you use the £1,000 savings nil rate band (0% tax rate).
    Hi, am i right in thinking that you will be taxed on interest over £1000 (after £12570)and will need to claim it back using form R40
    Banks and building societies stopped deducting tax at source back in April 2016.

Do you mean someone else will be deducting tax?

Is it PPI related interest?

Most people have no need to complete an R40 anymore.
    So if my income is £12000 and i had interest of say £3000 i dont have to do anything and i will not pay any tax?
    Yes, nothing to pay, although If I've understood how it works from previous posts on here, £2,430 of your savings interest will be taxed at 0%
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    taxigeoff said:
    taxigeoff said:
    italydiva said:
    Hello, could someone please advise. If I receive £7k pension as my only income, can my remaining personal allowance be combined with my £6k savings allowance to increase the amount I am able to earn tax free on my savings? 
    Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    The only allowance you have is the Personal Allowance (either £11,310 or £12,570 depending on whether you have applied for Marriage Allowance).

If your only taxable non savings non dividend income is £7k of pension income then you have the remainder of your Personal Allowance available to use against any interest (or dividends).

Once that has been used up the next £5,000 will be taxed at 0% (savings starter rate band).

And only once that has been used can you use the £1,000 savings nil rate band (0% tax rate).
    Hi, am i right in thinking that you will be taxed on interest over £1000 (after £12570)and will need to claim it back using form R40
    Banks and building societies stopped deducting tax at source back in April 2016.

Do you mean someone else will be deducting tax?

Is it PPI related interest?

Most people have no need to complete an R40 anymore.
    So if my income is £12000 and i had interest of say £3000 i dont have to do anything and i will not pay any tax?
    Correct.

Even if your Personal Allowance is only £11,310 the interest would all fall into the savings starter rate band.  Which has a 0% tax rate 😀
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure