Replacing fascias, gutters, bargeboards etc

Options
Completely strip off gutters, downpipes, wooden fascias and bargeboards and replace with  white UPVC ventilated soffits, UPVC fascia & bargeboards, guttering and downpipes. 4 bed detached house with gutters front and back. £3250, they did my neighbors with the exact style house as ours in two days, 3 men all done off ladders. Does it sound too cheap? My neighbor said he another quote for £7500. I am in Lancashire

Comments

• rubble2
    rubble2 Posts: 549 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had a similar job done on our house (4 bed detached - Wirral) about 18 months ago for £3750 so the price you have been quoted is not ridiculously cheap but is at the lower end of what I would expect.
    As always, do some research and ask to see other local jobs they have completed ( and knock on the doors to speak to the householder for feedback).
    Good luck
  • DaveyKnow
    DaveyKnow Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @rubble2 could you share the name of the contractor, I'm wirral based and going to be looking to get this done in the next few months 🙏
  • rubble2
    Options
    DaveyKnow said:
    @rubble2 could you share the name of the contractor, I'm wirral based and going to be looking to get this done in the next few months 🙏
    Sent you a private message.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's the 'all done off ladders' bit that is the red flag for me.

Ditto 4 bed detached, with high gable ends - and scaffolding all round.  This was pre-covid, so quoting what we paid wouldn't help, but the extra cost for the scaffolding wasn't cheap.

• Harribo1
    Harribo1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dave23 said:
    Completely strip off gutters, downpipes, wooden fascias and bargeboards and replace with  white UPVC ventilated soffits, UPVC fascia & bargeboards, guttering and downpipes. 4 bed detached house with gutters front and back. £3250, they did my neighbors with the exact style house as ours in two days, 3 men all done off ladders. Does it sound too cheap? My neighbor said he another quote for £7500. I am in Lancashire
    OP did you end up getting this done? If so could you pass on recommendation?

I'm in the same position as you - 4 bed detached in Lancashire.

£3250 is a very good price. I'm getting quotes around £6-6500 but that's with scaffolding where I think a lot of the costs go. 
  • dave23
    dave23 Posts: 108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No Harribo1 I did not go ahead, still thinking about it but I don't think I will be using that company
  • Harribo1
    Harribo1 Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dave23 said:
    No Harribo1 I did not go ahead, still thinking about it but I don't think I will be using that company

Probably for the best - one of my neighbours had some lads with ladders and looked like a bodge job. 

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Mine was done by 'lads on ladders' and they were brilliant.  The fact they were also firefighters may have helped!
  • DaveyKnow
    DaveyKnow Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @rubble2 would you be able to let me know who you used please, looking for a similar job 🙏
  • rubble2
    Options
    DaveyKnow said:
    @rubble2 would you be able to let me know who you used please, looking for a similar job 🙏
    I did send you a private message back in February when you first enquired, did you not receive it? Anyway have just re-sent it. Let me know if you still don't receive the info.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback