Extension of PIP award while my renewal forms are in

Has anyone else got an extension of their award?

My award was extended during COVID until May this year, I was asked to send in review forms (I had to get a few extensions due to mental health issues at the time) and they had to be in by August, which they were.

I haven't heard anything back until today. I thought it was a request for a F2F assessment but it was informing me that it's being extended until next February while they complete the reassessment. They said it could be before then or it could then be extended again.

Has anyone else got one of these? 

Comments

• Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,691
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 20 January at 4:23PM
    Yes this is standard to extend award during review if they have not completed it approaching a month until award runs out. Sounds like they may have extended yours a bit earlier but yes all normal. When they do make a decision it will replace the extended award.

The idea behind the extension is to deal with the lengthy delays in assessment and the letter is so you can evidence continued award (such as for a blue badge). Many claimants were complaining they were getting short late extensions without letters leaving them unable to prove they continued to be in receipt of PIP for a decent length of time.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • ev8
    ev8 Posts: 268
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes this is standard to extend award during review if they have not completed it approaching a month until award runs out. Sounds like they may have extended yours a bit earlier but yes all normal. When they do make a decision it will replace the extended award.

The idea behind the extension is to deal with the lengthy delays in assessment and the letter is so you can evidence continued award (such as for a blue badge). Many claimants were complaining they were getting short late extensions without letters leaving them unable to prove they continued to be in receipt of PIP for a decent length of time.

Thank you for your response, I thought it might be a thing lately (I really haven't been online much like I used to be to see if it was happening) but I guessed they were still dealing with the huge backlog they had and what with new claimants now entering with long covid, I imagine they have a lot of work on.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback