Pay as you Go or Sim Only?

Options
Ad_Astra
Ad_Astra Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post
I am looking for a new mobile phone package. My objectives are:

1) Minimise the monthly cost; I don't have a large data requirement.
2) Need to roam worldwide once or twice a year.

I am puzzled why Sim Only deals with the big four are so expensive. Whilst, the secondary providers like GiffGaff are much cheaper for Sim Only  from what I can see they have limited Roaming coverage outside of Europe. Does this mean I could not make any calls with the GiffGaff plan say in South America if they have no Roaming? 

The big four do offer much cheaper pay as you go packages compared to their Sim Only. I am puzzled why the price difference is so large compared to Sim Only. I could add a Europe or Worldwide top up on an 8-day basis to a Pay as You Go from the big four so I am wondering is a Pay as You Go the best option for my objectives? What are the downsides of Pay as You Go?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a UK based sim only which costs me £7 a month.  When I go to Canada I pick up a new sim card to pop into my mobile which costs me $25 (about £17) which is good for a month and lets me get calls from the UK from my OH.  Only problem with this is that it's a different phone number but all my contacts are still in the phone so I can text them to let them know so they can text/ring me.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,775 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 January at 5:00PM
    Options
    It depends.

My current deal with o2 is cheaper than any equivalent giffgaff offer and includes wifi calling which is not available on giffgaff.   The costs for using a giffgaff SIM in South America are available on their website.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• PZ19
    PZ19 Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a look at sim only on uswitch.  I think it’s only O2 that offer European roaming as standard post Brexit
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback