How long to allow for Balance Transfer

Options
beefturnmail
beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Generally how long should I allow between applying for a new balance transfer card and 0% interest rate on my old credit card running out? 

Interest free period on my Lloyds account runs out on 29th - I've just (today) been pre-approved (Natwest's own soft credit check) for a natwest balance transfer card - is there enough time to get the balance fully transferred before the 29th?   

Alternatively I could transfer the balance of another card I have with M & S which runs out 14th Feb - whatever I don't transfer I will have to pay off (unless I can find another BT card...)

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If you have the card details and can log into the account then I'd say maybe 3 working days?  It's not instantaneous but I think that you have enough time before the 29th.  If you can get that through then maybe that card will offer you a BT deal so you don't need to apply for something else.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • prettyandfluffy
    Options
    I recently did a balance transfer (Lloyds to Virgin) that was completed in less than 24 hours.  3 days should be comfortable.
  • amanda1024
    amanda1024 Posts: 409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Also with NatWest you can request the balance transfer as part of applying for the card, rather than having to wait for the physical card to turn up, which speeds things up. Although limited to £9999 even if credit limit is higher. It does depend on the bank - M&S have taken over a fortnight from first applying for a card to actually getting it.
  • daivid
    daivid Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Most of my balance transfers go through within 2 working days, my worst has been 2 weeks. Natwest (and its sister banks) was fast for me in the summer BTs all complete the next working day but I did have the card ready. I cannot remember how long the card took but don’t think it was very long. 

• Archerychick
    Archerychick Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes should be time, mine was done within 2 days of the request. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback