An overnight bag

I do quite a few overnight or long weekend trips & my current rucksack is more of a day sack I use when going into the office with my laptop.

I need a bag that will take 2 maybe 3 changes of clothing, toiletries, food/drink & some tech stuff. Clothing unlikely to include shoes.

Don't know whether to go down the luggage route or the sports/camping route. And don't know what size of bag I need. Not been able to find one I like when been to likes of John Lewis or M&S.

Budget up to around £80 & would need to be durable.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,235
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 January at 11:57PM
    Depends what sort of places you’re going to be staying. For staying with friends and family or hotels, I’d go the luggage route. A cabin sized suitcase on wheels does me for trips of five days when I go on city breaks. With shoes. And is a lot easier than carrying a large holdall any distance. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DanielDeronda
    DanielDeronda Posts: 188
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    elsien said:
    Depends what sort of places you’re going to be staying. For staying with friends and family or hotels, I’d go the luggage route. A cabin sized suitcase on wheels does me for trips of five days when I go on city breaks. With shoes. And is a lot easier than carrying a large holdall any distance. 
    Would be staying at hotels, usually within walking distance of the train station.
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,404
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I much prefer the small wheeled suitcase, easy to pack and  walk to hotel but there are some hybrid cases like this with backpack straps as well  https://itluggage.com/collections/travel-backpacks

• Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,927
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 20 January at 12:59PM
    Personally I'd use a large backpack - for ease of packing you want one where the back opens up completely to offer a suitcase type area, the best ones are those made by Crumpler - full price, they're not in your budget, but you might have some success on Vinted.

This one is the obvious candidate from the travel section
    https://crumpler.co.uk/products/track-jack-board-backpack

The camera backpacks they offer have the same arrangement, but I'd check carefully that the camera bit that holds the lenses can be removed - my husband has one (replacing an earlier version) where that all comes out, and he mainly uses for clothes etc. As a sign of longevity the current one has been in regular action for almost a decade, and will go in overhead lockers on the airlines we use (but I'd check this carefully in relation to your preferred airline).

No wheels also means no difficulty with steps, cobbles etc 
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,927
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    An alternative to the Crumpler linked above (and a bit cheaper, at £119) Samsonite do a range of "anti theft" backpacks which open out in the same way 

https://www.samsonite.co.uk/securipak-travel-backpack-expandable-15.6---eclipse-blue/140562-7769.html
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,376
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I use a sturdy suit carrier which folds in half.  Clothes on hangers so they stay in shape, a couple of pockets for toiletries.
  • TK Maxx sometimes has some good items of luggage, worth a look if you have one nearby.  Amazon is also a good and affordable place to look, especially because the customers photos and reviews give a much better sense of capacity and functionality. 
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,157
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 23 January at 8:20AM
    I have been using Osprey Daylite Expandable Travel Backpack 26+6 for about 2 years now. It is designed to fit into budget airlines hand luggage requirements and maximises the usable volume. It has two compartments, main opens like a suitcase and has a separate zip to give access to laptop pocket. There is also a small pocket handy where for smaller items like pens, wallet, headphones, two side pockets - I find them useful to keep the phone in, and an extra open pocket where you can sneak something flat. I put all clothes in the expandable section and the main section then used for techie stuff, papers and toiletries. After arriving at the destination, I close the expandable compartment and use the backpack to carry things I need that day.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,799
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think your first decision is what sort of journeys you make, and how you cope with moving your luggage.

I can't use a proper rucksack because one shoulder is b*ggered, but I have a range of Healthy Back Bags, the largest of which would cover a 2 day trip, but not easily with a laptop. However If I've got to walk any distance I'd be better with a wheeled suitcase, and I use a small HBB for the 'wanted on voyage' stuff.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nocash
    nocash Posts: 36
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    These people sell a few different brands but swear by Osprey. https://www.trekitt.co.uk/brands/osprey/ - Its worth paying a little more for a good brand like Osprey (who also have a sale on right now). Think carefully about the weight of the bag as well. I use one of the larger ones with wheels and optional pack away shoulder straps if it is't possible to wheel it because of the terrain, been round the world a few times with it now and it passes the airport "chuck it/drop it/" test every time. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback