Life Insurance/ Funeral Plan or ISA ?

Options
Hi, Now a pensioner, my wife & I both have life insurance policies coming to an end soon. They were excellent schemes with lump sum payment should either of us died. 

We now need to cover each other in order to leave ourselves able to cover Funeral expenses.

Which would be best way forward, we both have health issues. Not sure if to do a separate ISA, life ins, or funeral plan. 

Any advice ?

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,242 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I'd go for separate ISA, especially given recent insolvency and other problem involving some Funeral Plans
    I guess Life insurance would be high premium with your medical & ages, and the No Medical types must have limited payouts for the premiums?

At least ISA is easy to understand and transferable to another provider if first choice become unsuitable

Inflation may eat way of course, so not sure if the Funeral plans are inflation proofed or not
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Baron_Dale
    Baron_Dale Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I have a funeral plan with the co-op which is a very safe and experienced company. I went for the most expensive type of funeral. I put £500 down and pay £63.09 a month for 5 years. I have funds to pay it in full but the arrangement suits me at the moment. Also if I die after two years of payments the plan is honoured in full for the funeral without further payments. The payments are constant so in that way inflation is not an issue.
    I have also purchased my grave and sorted the type of memorial I wish to have. The executors of my will are fully briefed.
    Hopefully have a good few years yet lol!
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One thing to be aware of is making sure the money you have for your funeral is accessible. Not so much of an issue for a couple with funds in joint names, but an ISA can only be individual. 

When my grandmother died it took some time to work through the banking system to access her money. 

Fortunately my parents were able to fund the funeral themselves, but it could have been an issue if they were unable to do that. 
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,257 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Nebulous2 said:
    One thing to be aware of is making sure the money you have for your funeral is accessible. Not so much of an issue for a couple with funds in joint names, but an ISA can only be individual. 

When my grandmother died it took some time to work through the banking system to access her money. 

Fortunately my parents were able to fund the funeral themselves, but it could have been an issue if they were unable to do that. 
    Funeral directors are regularly required to wait for probate / release of monies for payment of funeral bills.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Stevepg1
    Stevepg1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments, some good advice. We’ve got until April on existing insurance but obviously want to protect each other going forward. Hopefully many years before we need it of course! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback